pen to paper

Jan 18, 2016

It's been awhile since I've done anything with my hands that hasn't involved changing diapers,  doling out snacks, loading up the boys in the van, playing with monster trucks, or rubbing their backs as they fall asleep. All wonderful things, no doubt, but I didn't realize how much I missed creating something, anything, until I sat down to handwrite two lines from hymns for a friend. 

If the timing is right, usually after bed or while they're occupied with daddy, I can sit down and get a few sheets of practice in before someone comes tugging on my sleeve needing my lap, or a snack. I've been enjoying writing mostly lines from hymns or scripture, partly because I'm working on putting it to memory and meticulously swirling each word helps me remember. 

It's nothing fancy, and some of them I've copied from pages I've found online. It's fun trying to copy at first to figure out how I want to style my letters, and then I practice a bit more and they take shapes of their own. It's a little glimmer of "me time" that doesn't take long and feels somewhat productive. I've got two pages to frame in Abe's nursery and I'm excited to share the finished product once everything is in its place. 



1 comment:

  1. These words are so lovely. Comforting also. *^_^*

    I hear what you're saying about not noticing that you miss something like a hobby. It hit me almost like a bonk on the head when I was posting this long novel on Instagram and I realized how much I missed blogging. Hopefully this year brings you and me both time to ourselves (even just a little) to do things we love. ^_^v

    ReplyDelete