boys, plural!

Feb 4, 2015

Adding a second child to our little family has been absolutely wonderful, but not without its challenges and adjustments. There's just something about being mom to brothers. I will often watch them together and dream about how much fun they'll have when Abe is a bit older. And I'll admit, I also dream about the day when I can send them both outside to play together! I like to think about what friends they'll hopefully be as they become adults. Someone once said what a gift it was to give your child a sibling and I think that is so true. 

I think the biggest change is that Michael and I are both busy with the boys. Michael has always been amazing and helpful, but one of us would always get a break. We'd swap out bath time and bed time and be able to have some free time in the evening while the other was trying to get Noah to sleep. Now we both are on the go until both boys are in bed. You know those commercials where both parents meet on the couch late in the evening, fall back in exhaustion, and stare like zombies? That's us some nights. Other nights both boys go to sleep without any hassle and stay asleep. Keeping us on our toes, they are. 

It's been an adjustment while out and about, for me especially. Noah is super independent and I'm lucky if I can get him to stay in the cart for longer than about ten minutes. I mostly wear Abe in my ring sling because it's easier to have my hands free to grab Noah if I need to. Trying to figure out who to get out of the van first was a challenge. Thankfully I've got somewhat of a routine down now, but Noah still likes to shake things up by hopping into the van while I'm getting Abe out, climbing in the back, and leaving me to pull him out when he doesn't listen. All while wearing Abe. There should be babywearing Olympics because it's a sport! I obviously have decided Noah gets out after Abe and I are settled. 

Noah took awhile to adjust to having a fragile being in the house. Thankfully his occasional slap has turned into just being a little too loving. Sometimes there's a hug, and sometimes there's a hugggggggg. Abe also gets a lot of Noah time up close and personal. Noah can't seem to talk to Abe without their noses almost touching, so you can imagine why they took turns being sick the first two months of Abe's life. I have to get used to that, too- one child is sick? You can either send the other one far far away or accept that he will inevitably get whatever the other one has. Personal boundaries are not a thing in our house right now! 

And I can't finish without mentioning the diapers. Oh, the diapers. More than twice as many. I forgot how many times newborns poop. We're back in the swing with cloth diapers and it's working really well for us. I love that both boys can use the same diapers with a few snap adjustments. I could do without all the poo, but it comes with the territory. 

Having two already has me excited about having more kids, but we've both decided we'd like to wait a couple years. This motherhood thing is fabulous, exhausting, amazing, hard..every contradictory adjectives you can think of and it embodies both. Most importantly, it's worth every single bit. 

In case you missed it, Abe's birth story was on the blog earlier this week!

5 comments:

  1. Love hearing how it's going for you all! I'm sure it's an adjustment, but is sounds like it's going well for the most part. It's nice to hear a real account of how life has changed since baby #2's arrival.... now I know what I have to look forward to in a few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 I love this! I really want my next little one to be a boy so Caleb can have a friend near to him in age. (And then I want two girls) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on your newest little addition!! i am sure things have changed so much!! he is precious!! so much love in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. Congrats on your new little one. Your big guy looks like he likes being a big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh! I love it! It brings me back to... oh my... almost two years ago! *tear*

    Jonah (3) and Levi (almost 2) were a handful. Ha, who am I kidding, they are still handfuls. Just in different ways.

    Having two boys is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete