It's a Date! | DIY Chalkboard Tray

Sep 6, 2014









This week was jam-packed with a lot of fun, including a lovely visit from a good friend, and is ending with family time in Virginia and a small baby shower for me today thrown by my sweet mama and sister. I waited to do this week's project until I arrived at M's parents house because they have a plethora of old wood by their barn to choose from. I'll admit...I had some help with this project. M helped me dig the pallet out and pry the wood off and my dad helped me trim it down to the right length. I won't ever take for granted the handy men in my life! I suppose this week's "me time" was completed during time with our families, but I still really enjoyed doing this simple and fun DIY! 

Supplies Needed:
> Chalkboard Paint
> Paintbrush
> Painter's Tape
> Two drawer handles
> Optional: Sandpaper to smooth down edges and surface

Step One | Find and cut your wood! I was fortunate and able to raid my in-law's wood supply, but in case you don't know anyone with twenty pallets laying around I'd suggest either checking Craigslist or calling your local grocery store. Often times people will list their pallets for free on Craigslist as long as you'll go pick them up and your local grocery store might appreciate one less pallet they have to get rid of. I wanted a whole piece of wood for my tray as opposed to attaching a few smaller ones together. I didn't want the writing to have to span seams, so I chose a skinnier board and gave it a little length. 

Step Two | Tape! I wanted a wider writing space, so I decided to extend the painter's tape to the edges of the wood. Because the grain of the wood is a little raised, I made sure I really pressed the tape down so the paint didn't leak through and the edges would be clean.

 Step Three | Paint! Once your tape is secure and you're sure of the size of your chalkboard area, brush the chalkboard paint on in thick, long strokes. I made sure to coat it pretty thickly because the wood  I chose is porous and I knew it would soak down easily. Once the paint is dry, slowly peel the tape off.




Step Four | Add Handles! Start by deciding where you want your handles and marking the screw holes with a pencil. Find a drill bit just a bit smaller than the screws that came with your handles and drill completely through the wood where your holes are marked. Then, screw the screws through the holes and attach them to the handles.
Step Five | Draw & Enjoy! I'm seeing all kinds of fun uses for a tray like this! It'd be fun to label snacks for a dinner party in fun chalkboard fonts, use as a centerpiece on the kitchen table with some flowers and scripture, or use as a learning tool with Noah for labeling, counting, or spelling.

This was a pretty easy project and I really love how it turned out. It's amazing how being intentional about making time for these projects actually helps me get them done! I'm finding that it wasn't time that I was lacking, but, in part, giving myself permission to make the time.

I haven't chosen my "me time" for this next week, but I may take a break from the crafty projects and lean more towards an event. Check back next Friday to find out! Also, check out last week's fun DIY painted bowl project!

Have a wonderful weekend! 

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Its so pretty! I think I need another tray...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! What a fun project. I'm not a big DIY-er but this is something my husband would love to help me create. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cleaver, cleaver idea and so attractive. Good for you for taking the time to do it. Can't wait to hear about the event this coming week. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so creative! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I like the part about knowing people with 20 pallets lying around! If anyone would, it would be those guys… :) It turned out great Kelsea! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! what a great gift idea too-) I think you are one of my new favorite blogs my friend-)

    ReplyDelete