It's A Date | DIY Painted Bowls

Aug 29, 2014



Last Friday I talked about how I've done a bad job at making time for myself since becoming a mom and how important it is to make time to have your cup refilled. Then I challenged myself to make a date with myself each week to do something creative or enjoyable. This could be a Pinterest project I've had pinned for months, an event I've been wanting to attend, or even a book I've been wanting to read.

Last week I came across these fun DIY Painted Bowls from Design Mom on Babble.com and knew I'd have fun with making my own! Because I already have nice bowls, I decided to decorate some small ceramic bowls for Noah's snacks. You're probably thinking, "You give your kid his snack in ceramic bowls?". First, we try to avoid plastic, but secondly, we've been doing this for awhile and it works for us. Noah knows which little bowls are his, asks for a snack and brings us his bowl to be filled. Once he's got his snack he takes it to his play table where he munches and plays off and on.

First things first...nap time.
How can he be comfortable?!

Once this was accomplished, I knew I had about two hours to myself. I grabbed my supplies: two small square bowls and my porcelain/glass paint pens (Hobby Lobby for $3.99 each with a 40% off coupon!). I propped my feet up on the couch, put on some music, and held the bowl steady on my lap over a towel while I drew. I'm no artist and I'll admit I had to look up some sea creatures on Pinterest for ideas. You can see I really went all out with my whales here. ;)


After I let them dry for the recommended 8 hours, I baked them in the oven at 375 for 40 minutes to cure them. This makes them dishwasher-safe - a huge plus around here. Although this wasn't complicated at all and took me about thirty minutes, it still is probably the first creative thing I've done in a very long time. I spent the rest of nap time eating lunch without someone trying to crawl into my lap and then managed to doze off for about ten minutes before I head "mama" from upstairs. I'd say overall, it was nice couple hours.

The bowls seemed to be a hit with Noah, but I have a feeling it was what was inside that was most important. He's a snack-lover for sure!

I thought quite a bit about what I wanted to do this week. We've got a busy week coming up, but I think times like these are when I need to take "me time" the most- to recharge before, during, and after the going and coming and going again. I decided on similar to these awesome chalkboard trays!
via/via/via

We have quite a bit of scrap wood leftover from our remodeling and I'm excited to sort through it and come up with something good! Check back next week for my results! 

Also on the blog this past week..

> A fun review of Younique's 3D Fiber Lashes! 

> I showed Noah's finished room (empty) and shared a Mountain mood board I made as inspiration for decorating.

> I shared a few things I'm grateful for out of my ordinary day. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I love the cute little whales you drew! This is my kind of project. I've actually done a lot of thinking lately about how I don't make enough time for activities like this. I know I should really enjoy it, but I don't as much as I'd like to. PS- Seth has always slept like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bowls turned out super cute!!! I'm so glad you took some time for yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of creating "me" time. I am not yet a mother so I can't relate on that aspect, but I do live a very busy lifestyle and I definitely enjoy some time to just sit down and read with a good cup of coffee :]
    I'm excited to see how your chalkboard trays turn out! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how they turned out! Very cute. Good job making time for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute.

    I've got chalkboard paint if you want to use it. I can bring it to church Sunday. Then it will be a free project! I might even have two metal handles for your tray. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that my son is two months old we're starting to get on somewhat of a schedule and I've learned how to have some me time whenever he does let me put him down for naps. Usually I just end up working on blog items during that time since I finally have two hands free for typing but sometimes I nap too and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete