Total Truth Thursdays | Money

May 8, 2014

Can you believe it? We're on our last week of Total Truth Thursday! I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has joined us, even if it was just for one of the weeks. Kirstin and I have really enjoyed getting to know all of you and learning your total truth!! Personally, I've had a busy month and haven't blogged as much as I'd like, but I've always looked forward to our Thursdays!

Today's topic is money.
SOURCE | Some words of wisdom from Dave Ramsey

I have a love/hate relationship with money. I wish I had more of it and hate the greed that it breeds all at the same time. All of the things that are wrong with our society and world trace right back to greed- people wishing they had more money and more power, but then I wish I had more money so we could do all of the things we want to do. It's a thin, thin line. I think that's why the Bible warns so much about wealth, not because it's a bad thing, but because the line between healthy and greedy is easy to cross. 

Personally, we'd love to be in a place as a family where we are debt-free with a solid plan for retirement, a good cushion in savings, and a plan to use the rest of our money as we feel led. We've been following Dave Ramsey's steps and although at times we've not stuck as closely to his plan as we should have (he'd probably yell at me if I called into his show!), it's been a huge motivator in our financial decisions and the reason we're so close to being debt-free outside of our mortgage. We don't have brand new cars, we budget, and we go without a lot of the things we really want. But when we look at our long term goals, and see how our discipline has paid off even in the first few years of our marriage, we stay motivated to get ourselves to a better place.

I feel sad about how our culture views money. I hate all the commercials meant to make us dissatisfied with what we have and that tell us we're not good enough, not smart enough, not respected enough unless we have what they're offering. I hate the advertisements that appeal to us not based on what we can actually afford, but the payment we can make. There's a difference! Aside from a big purchase like a house, if you can't pay cash for it, then you can't afford it. 

There is such an "I want it and I want it now" mentality in our culture, and I'll admit, it's hard for me to fight it. Believe me, I wish I could have what I want now, I just am not willing to go into debt to get it. I want to feel free and unbound by the weight of owing someone else, and paying extra to owe them at that!

I get annoyed when I hear people complaining about money problems when they're making poor decisions, racking up debt, and living above their means. Our entitlement culture tells us we deserve to get what we want. It takes discipline, going without luxuries and extra comforts, and working your butt off to get where you want to be. I really believe in one of Dave's most famous sayings- "Live like no one else now, so you can live like no one else later". 

Alright, it’s your turn! Grab the button below and link up your Total Truth! Also, use the hashtag #totaltruththursdays to share on Instagram and Twitter! 

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post, Kelsea!! When I opened my photography business several years ago, we got a credit card...with its purpose to be JUST for the business, BUT it was so easy to use it for all those little "I think I neeeeed that" purchases. (When I totally didn't neeeeed it at all.) Within a year, it was maxed out. Rut-ro, Shaggy! While it was a really not smart thing to do, it was a huge learning experience for me. We got on a debt reduction plan and as of just a few months ago, are finally debt free!! It is the best feeling in the world. It took us five years to do, but if we'd only paid the minimum payment on the bill, it would have taken 14. 14 years to pay what took only 1 to rack up. Yikes. We will never again do a credit card. I've learned to become thrifty and really love living that "lifestyle."

    Thank you again for this post! Hope you are doing well. :)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sometimes you have to tell yourself no now so you can tell yourself yes later." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided a long time ago to get rid of my credit card debt. We don't even have an "emergency" credit card. If we can't buy it outright, we don't need it. If we have an emergency that comes up, that's what our rainy day savings fund is for. I refuse to be in debt to credit card companies any more. It really forced us to seriously give thought to our purchases (wants vs. needs) and how we budget where the money goes. Does that mean that we don't ever splurge or do more than we should sometimes? Nope! We do, but in having a plan and a focus, it dramatically reduces financial waste. I think another thing that's helped me is cultivating an attitude of appreciation for what I do have and knowing that it's enough. I mean, how many chevron scarves does one person *really* need? I'm happy with my average life and I think when you're happy with what you have, it's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virtual high five to you for working towards paying off your debt! I'm no pro at money and am still figuring out budgeting and being disciplined. However, I will tell you, that I was able to pay off all debts before getting married. Dave and I got married debt free and it has been a huge blessing to not worry about money. I'm not saying that to brag because honestly, it's a gift from God. I'm sharing that to encourage you to keep on the right track. It's worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete