city-life for a day or two

May 16, 2014



Last weekend we spent a wonderful weekend in Virginia celebrating my grandpa's birthday and Mother's Day. We got to see some extended family, M got some mountain-biking in, and we got some nice R & R. We traveled from there to Knoxville for a few days for M's work. It is so nice being able to go with him some when he travels. I love not being stuck at home alone and it gives us a chance to do some exploring.

M booked us a hotel right downtown, within a few blocks from Market Square District and with an awesome view of downtown and the river. It's always been my dream to live smack dab in the middle of a city and I feel like I got to experience that for a few days! Noah and I were able to meet M for lunch every day in the square. I really loved that and it made his work day seem shorter. Noah and I didn't even drive anywhere. Instead we crossed the street to the library, walked to the square for meals and to let Noah play in the splash pad, and walked back to the hotel for nap time before meeting M again. 

We ate at Tupelo Honey Cafe twice, once for breakfast and once for dinner. I love breakfast food, even for dinner, so I got their sweet potato pancakes with peach butter while M got their famous meatloaf and Noah enjoyed a gluten-free burger. We also enjoyed lunch at Trio Cafe, Cafe 4, and Tomato Head. I don't mind eating out for a few days in a row if we get to enjoy local restaurants and unique food. There are also a few fun shops in Market Square and it gave us just enough to do to kill time for awhile. 

We're back home now preparing for our move next week. We're packing up clothes to keep with us for our week in a hotel and gathering all the things that the movers can't take with them. Thursday is the big day- the day we pull out of our empty house and move on to our new city. I've found myself quite emotional this week as the day gets closer. As excited as I am to move, I have a feeling I'll be a mess next week. Let me tell you, doing all this with added pregnancy hormones makes me feel a little crazy. I'm trying to remember that it's okay to be vulnerable and to let it out if I need a good cry.


We'll be spending the weekend doing some last minute things and trying to get some rest, too. What are you up to this weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! busy days! Our daughter is moving next week as well and thankfully she and her family will only be 3 hr. 15 min from us instead of 13 1/2 hours as they have been the past 3 years. I wish you all the best for a very smooth move. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just ate at Tupelo Honey in Asheville! It's so delicious! Hope you can get some rest this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in Knoxville a few weeks ago for the first time and couldn't get over how adorable the Market Square area was! We ate at Tomato Head and enjoyed it, particularly how dog friendly it was!

    ReplyDelete