MADE SERIES 07 // Jenni Haikonen: Bottomley Cottage

Apr 16, 2014

I'm excited to get back to Made Series this week! Today, our small business feature is Bottomley Cottage, an Etsy art shop with beautiful water color prints! I've always really loved watercolor as it is such a delicate and cheerful medium. Jenni Haikonen is the creative behind Bottomley Cottage and I'm so excited to introduce you to her!
Jenni is an artist from the prairies of Canada, living in Vancouver with her husband. She loves exploring and seeking out ways to satisfy her curious mind. She likes connecting with others over a cup of coffee or something sweet. She's a true Romantic and has dreams of living in a coastal village on Prince Edward Island. Here are a few of her beautiful pieces....
Aren't those gorgeous? Jenni answered a few questions about her shop and her creativity.... 

When did you open up shop?
I only recently opened up my first Etsy shop! I’ve been making and selling things for a while through Facebook and word of mouth, but I now have an official website that I can direct people to for viewing my work, which is pretty nice. 

What is the story behind your shop name?
I started a blog years ago called Tales From Bottomley Cottage. It referred to the house I was living in at the time that was known to people as Bottomley Cottage. I loved living there and it was a place of comfort and inspiration for me. I thought it only made sense to name my shop after it…plus it kind of just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? 

Who has been your biggest encourager?
While my family has definitely pushed me to pursue passions and achieve dreams, my husband has been particularly encouraging in this new venture. He loves my watercolour work and tells me so every time I work on a new piece! 

How did you learn how to do watercolor? 
I have a diploma in art and design, along with having completed a certificate program alongside accomplished artists, so that experience has exposed me to so many different mediums…except watercolour! I had been painting in acrylic up until recently when I decided to explore watercolour. It’s similar to acrylic in that it is water-based, but you definitely can’t control it in the same way. I am just learning through practice, but I hope to take a class in technique soon. 

What do you use for inspiration? 
My biggest inspiration recently has come through other artists working in similar mediums and styles. Some of the artists include Oana Befort, Emily Winfield Martin, and Becca Stadtlander. I have been so drawn to folk painting and children’s illustration and I hope to one day be experienced enough to illustrate a book, myself! 

Be sure to follow Jenni on her blog and social media!

In honor of today's feature, Jenni would love to giveaway a print from her shop! 
To enter is simple: Visit Bottomley Cottage on Etsy and comment below with which print you'd like to win! 

4 comments: