Total Truth Thursdays 03 | Social Media: I'm overwhelmed!

Mar 20, 2014

Welcome to our third Total Truth Thursday! Kirstin and I started this link-up in hopes that it will be successful in creating a safe environment for us to share our opinions, beliefs, and thoughts- however strong, against-the-grain, mainstream, or out there they are! If this is the first time you’re hearing about Total Truth Thursdays, head back to this post and catch up on what it’s all about!

Before we dive in and link up, there are a few things that you need to know:
1 // You can find the list of topics for each week HERE 
2 // Kindness is key.Whether you follow the topics for each week or come up with something on your own, please remember that others may or may not agree with you, and you may or may not agree with them! Disagreements are natural, passionate opinions are welcomed, and constructive feedback is fine. However, we won’t put up with rudeness, ugliness, or name-calling. Just be nice! 
3 // To link-up, please follow Hey Kelsea Rae & These Moments Called Life on Bloglovin’ or GFC and copy and paste the button code to your post somewhere! We are so excited to get started!

Today’s topic is SOCIAL MEDIA!


I've got a huge love/hate relationship with social media these days, and most of the hate feelings are directed at Facebook. I've been a member since 2007 (the good old high school days), and its place in my life has escalated into something I'm just sick and tired of. I've considered deleting my account so many times, but am hesitant because 1. it's nice to keep in touch with family/friends  that I would otherwise never see or talk to and 2. Most of my family isn't on Instagram and I know they enjoy seeing pictures of Noah as he grows up.

What's got me close to hitting delete? I'm overwhelmed and overstimulated! With every single app refresh, I'm bombarded with articles or stories or graphics people have shared. Don't get me wrong- most of the time they're really educational, or insightful, or convicting. A lot of them are on parenting, shared by one of the many gentle or positive parenting groups I'm a part of. A lot of them are news stories about tragic things happening, or a political stance, or a new recipe. I see every natural living blog post known to man. Then there's the homesteading articles, the paleo theories, the diet drink pushing, the stupid cat videos, just to name a few. 

And I just can't take much more. I've gotten to the point where I skim the interesting article because I don't have time to read the entire thing, and I get what I should be doing, feeling, thinking, saying, eating...but I didn't read enough to really learn anything. Over time, all that does is file away short bits of information, incomplete information at that, into my brain...where it haunts me! 

And don't get me started on grammatical errors, or people who share way too much, or people who vague-book, or the looking-down-the-cleavage-duck-face shot, or the outdated parenting advice, or the cliche religious shares that tell me I don't love Jesus because I didn't hit "like". You know my favorite one floating around these days? A graphic that says, "If I spoke to my parents the way some kids do these days, I wouldn't be here to share this status. Share if you think kids should learn respect". Or something to that effect. So let me get this straight. You're telling me....that you would have killed your child? No? Then what? Beat them? That's your logic there? Get a better supporting argument! 

By the end of the day, I'm worn out just from browsing Facebook. How first-world-problem does that sound?! And the thing is...it's my fault. I'm blaming ME and my lack of discipline. I could just as easily delete the app, or put my phone down, but I choose to pick it up an embarrassing number of times a day. I'm addicted and I hate it. It's like my problem with donuts. I know it's bad for me, but I do it anyways, and then I feel even worse about myself because I gave in. And it wasn't even that enjoyable. 

On a more serious note, something's got to give. I spend all day with Noah and my heart breaks a little every time he's playing and I realize I'm on my phone for the millionth time that day. It makes me angry. I really need to implement change in this area and I'm seriously considering ways I can go about that. I want to be more present and spend more time with a clear mind instead of being bogged down by all the distractions and over-sharing Facebook has to offer. 

The times I'm torn? When I think about all the things I have learned from things I've read or seen online. I'm part of parenting/mommy communities where I can learn about how to parent the way I want to, or where I can ask the new mommy question and get great, non-judgemental help. My natural birth with Noah was greatly inspired by birth story articles shared on Facebook and finding other moms who were encouraging and had loads of knowledge and experience to share. I've been inspired by the homesteading blogs and hope to use them as a resource when we get to that road. I've been exposed to different perspectives and been humbled by knowledge that is out there. I've connected with others and been inspired. It can be a good tool sometimes. But for me, in my life right now, it's a hindrance to peace, to contentment, and to simplicity- and those are all things I desperately need.

I'm not hating all over all social media.  Instagram is an outlet that I really enjoy. It's a picture and words. It's simple and concise. I can share about my day, share my creativity through pictures (something I love!), and be done. It's easy not to get caught up on IG for awhile and it keeps me connected without all the other distractions that Facebook provides. Twitter is okay, too, but I mostly use it for blog promoting. 

I knew how I felt before writing this post, but I think now that I'm at the end of getting it all out I'm even more sure of what needs to happen. Sometimes things, even things that can be used for positive, need to be cut out of our lives when they're affecting us negatively. 

How do you feel about Facebook? Is there a social media site that you love, or one that you can't stand? 

Alright, it’s your turn! Grab the button below and link up your Total Truth! Also, use the hashtag #totaltruththursdays to share on Instagram and Twitter!

11 comments:

  1. I deleted my Facebook account in October of 2011 and it made the biggest change in my life, I will never activate my account again! I myself am a huge fan of Instagram like you! It's an outlet for me to post pictures I actually put thought into :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so enjoyed writing about social media & thinking through how i feel about it. and i've also enjoyed reading everyone else's posts! this is great :)
    i feel you on facebook. i am so over it lately and really thinking about just deleting it. i love instagram so much because it's concise and more personal, i think! and less drama/negativity than facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like facebook because of the keeping in touch with long-distance family and friends factor! One thing I've found that works well in our household is that we don't have smartphones. If I want to be on social media I actually have to go and turn on the computer. For me, that's enough that I won't on it aimlessly or at inappropriate times, and I think it really influences the way that I'm very satisfied with social media!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this!! I completely agree with you!
    btw- weird how my photo isn't working on the link up. If you want to delete it so I can try to redo it that's fine with me! :)

    So thankful for this sweet community that you have created!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and amen! I feel just the same as you do! I've actually realized that I can never be a famous or even popular blogger because I don't want my life to revolve around social media. Most of the time I'm ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still really enjoy Facebook. sometimes there's too many posts that are just shares, and the vagues posts but I like you enjoy what's it offers. I enjoy keeping up with old friends and mom groups. I also find lots of deals and discounts (although Twitter had more). it's hard to balance but aren't lots of things?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally know what you mean. I do that with blogging too sometimes... I try to read ALL THE POSTS. And then I'm like, I just read 5 posts, but I didn't READ them, you know? (Sorry for the all caps.) Anyway, I love Twitter. I find great joy with coming up with witty one-liners. I rarely post anything on FB, but I like seeing pics of my friends and such, so I keep it. I mostly just post on my blog FB because it's the only way a lot of my family and friends know when I post something new. I know. Some people don't use Bloglovin! Blow my mind ;)
    Great topic. I've vented(ish) about social media here: http://www.theladyokieblog.com/2013/09/the-social-media-rabbit-hole-or-real.html

    Basically, I don't have a smart phone because I would become obsessed and be one of THOSE people. I'm hanging on to my sanity by a thin thread, my friend. Thin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I despise Facebook but am in the same boat! I'm in vacation and deleted it from my phone and it's weird not to have it. I'll tell myself it will pass soon.

    Personally I despise Facebook right now because I feel like everyone is pushing for gay rights, which they can, but I've felt some extreme rage coming from the other end when I view things differently. My siblings don't use FB much and their heart is still beating so perhaps deleting it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe if we don't have FB we would be creative and send picture and cards instead of just posting pictures on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, girl. I am with you. It can be so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Loved everything about this post. I appreciate the rawness of your honesty. I think every woman, especially bloggers can relate to the love/hate relationship with Facebook and Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't with Facebook anymore. The only reason I haven't deleted my account is because I'm on an online grad program and that's how I primarily keep in touch with a lot of people in my cohort. But I did delete the app from my phone and it's been the best thing i've ever done - twitter might be next!

    ReplyDelete