MADE SERIES 05 // Samantha Black: Anchor of Hope Designs

Mar 5, 2014

Today's small business spotlight feature is Samantha Black, a newlywed who recently moved away from the big city to small town South Carolina. She's a therapist during the day and loves working with children, but creating art has always been a part of her life. She majored in art in college and has always loved experimenting with new materials! Her shop, Anchor of Hope Designs, features beautiful, nautically-themed jewelry!
Samantha was gracious enough to answer some of my questions about her shop & what keeps her nautically inspired..

When did you start your business/open up shop? 
This is going to sound crazy, but I opened my shop a little over a month before my wedding in August 2013.  I have wanted to open an Etsy shop for a few years now, and I guess I didn’t think wedding projects, moving to a different state and looking for a new job kept me busy enough?? But, I have loved every minute of it and it’s a great break from my day job as a counselor!

What is the story behind your business/shop name? 
My shop name is based off of a favorite Bible verse of mine Hebrews 6:19, “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul.” It was very fitting and encouraging as I was starting so many new things in my life – getting married, moving to a new state, and starting this Etsy shop! It was an extra bonus that I love the beach and the anchor made a great logo!

Who has been your biggest encourager? 
My family and my husband! My mom and dad encouraged me to start the shop and helped me work out the logistics behind the business.  Mom is also my go to person to consult with about new ideas!  My older sister helps me photograph my work and is currently trying to teach me about “branding.”  My husband is my daily encourager – he has even been known to fold quite a few papers for me when I get a lot of cross orders at once!

What inspires your creativity?
I’m able to clear my mind and get a lot of ideas while I’m at the beach, but I also get a lot of ideas from flea markets or consignment stores.

What is your favorite item from your shop? 
That’s a tough question….I love my recycled magazine art right now because of how unique it is and I am really working at developing this line.  My recycled paper clock is my newest item, so I would say that’s my favorite right now.  My favorite piece of jewelry is probably the pearl bracelet, but this changes often. 

 I love the verse that inspired the name of Samantha's shop! I also really admire that her husband helps her with her shop when she needs it- that's a good man! Looking through Samantha's shop left me wanting warm weather and sand between my toes. Her designs and fresh and classic with beautiful stones and colors.
From now until next Wednesday, the 12th, Samantha is giving one of my readers a chance to win her sterling silver aqua necklace!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love this, I have a similar blog series called handmade highlight where I spotlight handmade and small businesses! Love this! also...I am such a die hard simplicity gal when it comes to jewelry! this necklace is ADORABLE!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that her husband and family have been her biggest inspiration! That aqua necklace is WAY cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the long aqua necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful!!!! Wish I had seen these before my wedding day, gorgeous Bridesmaid gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that aqua necklace is so pretty and delicate. What a cute shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So lovely! And such a great story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the Freshwater Pearl Bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  8. my favorite item is definitely this chain link bracelet - so cute!

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/178811746/silver-bracelet-chain-link-bracelet?ref=shop_home_active_3

    ReplyDelete