Being an Ezer | Guest Post: Living on Cloud Nine

Mar 18, 2014

Hello lovely readers. Today, the lovely Cassie from Living on Cloud Nine is my guest on the blog and she's got some wonderful things to say! Before I hand it over to her, I'd love if you checked out our Total Truth Thursdays link-up and plan to join us this week for our topic, Social Media. Come share how you really feel! Now, I'd love to welcome Cassie!
Cassie was born and raised in Greenville, SC where she still happily lives with her sweet husband. She loves to notice the little things in life since she is a firm believer that life is too short to be a glass half empty kind of person so she fills her glass all the way full thanks to her faith in God and the people that the Savior has placed in her life. Living on Cloud Nine is her blog where she loves to share all the many things that make her a happy lady!
Hello Everyone!! I’m Cassie and I am a sinner who is redeemed by God’s love, I’m also a newlywed {six months on the 28th!!}, but most of all I am a woman. I’m so happy to be here today and share a little bit of my heart with all of you about this powerful thing called womanhood. During the past two years I have been blessed beyond belief with the literature and studies from my church. I am a member of Grace Church and it has been such a wonderful blessing to me and my husband. During the women studies I have learned what an Ezer is and what that really means & I’m so excited to share some of that with you today!
Most of you have probably never heard of an Ezer. I know I had not until my church started to teach about it. In Genesis 2:20 the bible says but still there was no helper just right for him. Really… helper? It just seems so simple. We are here to help others. Okay… great, but an Ezer seems like such a strong word. A lot stronger than helper that’s for sure. 

Ezer, {Pronounced Eh’-zair} technically stands for, “ezer-kenegdo” which means an essential counterpart. Someone who comes alongside and lends strength. Not someone who follows along and only does what she is told. An Ezer has strength. Being an essential counterpart means that you are crucial and necessary. An Ezer holds power. One of my most favorite parts of the word Ezer is knowing that it is used in the Old Testament 21 times: twice in the creation story {talking about us, ladies!}, three times as a military term, and then SIXTEEN times God refers to himself as an Ezer. Military…? God…? Woman…? Obviously this is a term of strength and it is used to describe us as women and how God made women in His image. Seriously blows my mind when I think about it. 

We are called to help all of those in our lives. Lending strength to our parents, brothers & sisters, friends, husbands, etc. We are created as women in the image of God to be helpful to everyone in our life and this means we do not have to wait for a husband to serve in that role. We are able to express our strengths as a woman in many ways. We need to be fully engaged with those around us to impact the world with our womanhood, not just our husbands. 

Adam was not “good” without Eve. God knew this and Adam’s response was “At last!” because he needed her. We are needed and we are wanted. That is placed in us by God and if we learn how to use our “Ezerness” for His Kingdom we have an amazing power. 

“True beauty, true delight is found in a woman who is fearfully and wonderfully made and who reflects the image of God within her. Being a source of delight to others is not marginalizing, nor is it weakness.” 

So what do we do with this power now? Honestly, we share it. We come alongside those who need our strength and become that source of delight. Helping others and equipping the women in your life to know their true worth. My church has the curriculum printed in book form for study groups and I love hearing stories from so many different churches that have completed the study. It really is life changing. You can find all of the information here (http://gracechurchsc.org/women/) if you are interested. 

No, this is not a sponsored post from my church. No, I am not on staff or getting paid to write this. Yes, I am sharing my heart and would love for you to dig deeper in this calling we have as women. Feel that fire within you and know that is a gift from our Lord. Don’t be afraid, listening to the enemy and try to put it out, set it free and run with it. We are powerful. This is what we are called to do, lend strength and know who God has called us to become, not for ourselves but for His kingdom. All that we do should be for Him and that is my prayer for myself and for all of you.

8 comments:

  1. Do you go to Grace?? I just did the Ezer study with my community group! Such a great book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! :) I do... such a great study!!!

      Delete
  2. I used to go to Grace! That's where The Hubs and I met Jesus and were baptized, and Matt married us! I love how this blogging world lets us meet people nearby and far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a wonderful thing, isn't it!?!? Probably my favorite part about blogging is the relationships created! My husband and I were married at the downtown campus and Dan Dather compelted the ceremony. Such a wonderful day!
      If you have not done the Ezer study I highly reccomend it. It is wonderful!

      Delete
  3. I went to a woman's conference in November that talked on this topic a bit. I always cringed at the "helper" word, as though it was a lesser place to be in, but I love learning that it wasn't that at all. Is this a study we can get online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chanetl! :) if you go to the link below you can purchase the book for the study. It has great questions throughout the entire book so it is great for a group bible study. There is the original Biblical Femininity study and then the latest Ezer study is called Redeeming Sexuality which I just finished and it was amazing!! There are also some great podcasts available and blog posts on the website. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      http://gracechurchsc.org/women/

      Delete
  4. I just wrote a blog post about this too! I love that the church is slowly changing their definition of "helper" to be more in line with God's definition! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!!! it is so important for women and for men also!

      Delete