Overcome the Lie | Mary-style

Jan 28, 2014


I hear voices.

Don't worry...you do, too. Especially if you're a mom.

We hear truths and lies.

"You're blessed beyond measure." - a truth.

"You're no good at this." - a lie.

"You really love your kids." - a truth.

"You're doing a terrible job." - a lie.

"You're a great mom." - a truth.

"You're screwing them up." - a lie.

Where are these voices coming from?

Within us. From society. From other moms. From the Spirit. From the enemy.

"The thief comes only to kill, steal, and destroy; I {Jesus} come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly." - John 10:10
 
The enemy thrives on telling us lies. Lies about ourselves, lies about our loved ones, lies about what we deserve, and lies about what we should be. He is out to wreak havoc in our minds and in our lives.

I've been thinking lately about the lies I hear, and the ones I let myself believe. Want to know the biggest?

"You're not doing enough."

As a stay-at-home mom, I battle this lie daily. I hear things like, "You really should go put those dishes up", "You should be able to keep this house clean", "You have nothing to show for your day", "You don't have enough going on during the week", "You need to be doing.....".

Doing. Working. Striving. That's the message here. I'm not doing enough. I'm not enough.

This week, I thought about the story of Martha & Mary. They were two sisters that Jesus visited during his travels. Mary sat at Jesus' feet listening to what He had to say. Martha, on the other hand, was super busy with all the stuff on her to do list. At one point she got upset that she wasn't receiving help from her sister. Jesus told her something. And these words stopped me in my tracks this week...

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things, but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her". -Luke 10: 41-42

"Kelsea, Kelsea, you are worried and bothered about so many things, but only one thing is necessary....choose the good part, which shall not be taken away from you". 

Whoa. Mary saw the opportunity she had and took it. She saw the significance of the moment-that Jesus Himself had come to her, had called on her, and her sole responsibility was to be present and take advantage of this rare time in her life.

I thought about my present day opportunity to "sit at Jesus' feet". At this moment, and for quite a few years to come, I'm a mom and a wife. And when Jesus told Martha that Mary chose the good part, I saw in that the good choice placed before me. The one that won't be taken away from me.

I'm not only to sit at Jesus' feet in regards to my heart and mind attitude towards Him throughout the day, but I think that my "Mary" opportunity is to focus on my family, my calling, and be present. Those memories, that valuable time investing in the lives of my children and husband is eternal.

Instead of being like Martha and making sure the kitchen is 100% clean 100% of the time, I want to be like Mary, and take the opportunity to soak in the presence of my growing son while he plays with his trains. Instead of being like Martha and feeling guilty over not having enough events, I want to be like Mary, and take the opportunities we have around us, today. Instead of being like Martha and being angry over our current life in limbo, I want to be like Mary, who counted it joy to sit, be still, and rest in the Savior.

The truth? HE is enough. And when He is enough, and I'm sitting at His feet, I don't have to worry about doing or being or striving. That is enough. 

12 comments:

  1. so much truth in this post!!! we definitely live in a Martha world & it's so hard to have a Mary heart, but so worth it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Man... mom lies are the worst! It's so good to be reminded that the "things" don't have to get done, but that "life" is happening and to sit back and really "be" in the moment! That was alot of quotes and words... Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this post is beautiful! You are so right about the truths and lies... God is truth and He is the one we should be listening to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, encouraging post! Amen, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent reminder, so glad you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this post! So beautiful and so true. I am a "Martha" through and through and have to remember to slow down and soak in things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lately, i cannot get out of my mind that i'm not doing enough, being social enough, creative enough, focusing enough, giving enough, being patient enough, listening enough, etc. clearly, i'm ALL OVER THE MAP with my accusations at myself. i am constantly comparing myself to other women, and it has just got to STOP. thank you for reminding me of the great mary and martha story. to be still and present before Jesus is the most important. the rest is details. (oh, but they don't seem like details when we're of the middle of them do they? haha.) good share. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This resonated with me even though I'm not a Mom. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and reminding us that Jesus should always be enough.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful and convicting post. Thank you for sharing, Kelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) Thank you, thank you, thank you for this beautiful post. This was a great reminder for me, too, and warmed my heart. XO.

    Emily
    www.embergrey.com

    ReplyDelete