In the Kitchen | Banana Nut Muffins: Gluten, Grain, Dairy, & Sugar Free

Jan 20, 2014

In the past year, we've gone pretty much gluten-free in this house. While none of us have been diagnosed with Celiac, we've researched and been convinced that gluten isn't really that great in general. We feel better when we eat mostly gluten-free, and that's enough for me to continue! Also, most of the products that contain gluten, such as standard breads & pastas, also often include other ingredients we try to stay away from, like enriched or processed flours, preservatives, and fillers. We often tend to substitute with brown rice pastas, or coconut flour, etc. If we do use wheat flour or other grains, we try our best to get them sprouted or soak them before use as this makes them easier to digest.

We also have eliminated processed sugars and try to stick with raw, natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. This switch has resulted in the elimination of some pesky health issues, weight loss for M and me, and an overall feeling of wellness. Now if we could just tackle Noah's sleep issues we could be thriving!

Because we're eating better, our taste buds and cravings have shifted, as well. Instead of needing white sugar, I feel sick if I eat too much. Instead of thinking whole food treats taste weird, we now love and are able to enjoy the full flavor of real foods. I've found that I can make a cleaner version of things we used to enjoy and find them absolutely delicious.
There are so many recipes out there that fit with our lifestyle but still allow us to enjoy those fun treats we used to make. This Gluten, Grain, Dairy & Sugar-free Banana Bread Muffin recipe hits the spot, takes about five minutes to whip together, and is so good! This recipe is one I adapted from Tessa, The Domestic Diva's recipe for her chocolate chip version! 
 Ingredients
+ 1 C. any nut butter (cashew, almond, sunflower, or peanut)
+ 2-3 very ripe bananas
+ 1/2 C. walnuts
+ 2 eggs
+ 1 tsp. vanilla
+ 2 tbs. raw honey
+ 1/2 tsp. basking soda
+ 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Mix all ingredients in bowl and blend until smooth and banana chunks are gone. Place batter in greased muffin tin (either regular or mini size), then place in the oven for around 8 to 10 minutes. Do a pick test to make sure the middle is done. Makes about a dozen regular-sized muffins.

 This was my first time making these and I think they turned out amazingly! They don't rise as much as traditional muffins, but other than that I honestly could not tell the difference. You really could make this recipe fit whatever you were in the mood for. Next up, we're going go to try the original chocolate chip recipe, and in the future I think blueberries or some sort of fruit would be good.
Eating traditional, real foods isn't that difficult, but it does take thinking and preparing ahead of time. Recipes like this one are nice when you haven't had 24 hours to soak your grains, or when you need something super quick and yummy!

Just a reminder- don't forget to enter this week's birthday giveaway! Whitney from Whitney Blake is feeling twenty two (you sang it, didn't you?) and we've got three things to giveaway to three winners! Think J.Crew, Starbucks, and Urban Peach! Enter here!

19 comments:

  1. YUM! I have some almond butter I've been wanting to use up. (Got some from CostCo, but I like another brand better). Definitely making these this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these yesterday after seeing them in your post Friday. They are delicious and Austin can't get enough !

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good and I love how healthy they are!!! I'm making them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done Paleo on and off for the last two years, and I am definitely gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free as much as possible now! I will have to give these a try...I'm so picky about baking without the "normal" baking ingredients and am always looking for a recipe that fills my craving for bread! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe! It looks wonderful!

    -Brittany
    Check out the giveaway on Pittsburgh Glamour
    http://pittsburghglamour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good! I'm trying to make similar changes in our diet, especially avoiding white flour and sugar. I love to use honey and since we have our own honeybees now hopefully we can use the honey we harvest later this year!

    PS - Saw your post about what you're looking forward to in 2014 over on Simple Moments Stick and thought I'd pop over to say hi. My husband and I moved to our homestead 2 1/2 years ago and we love it! Excited for you and your future homesteading plans :)

    ~Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I want to reach through my computer screen and grab one and start eating! :) Thanks for the recipe.
    How is the new year treating you? If you're like many of us and have resolved to spend a little less this year, we'd love to tell you about Dorco. We're a shaving company providing quality razors for up to 70% less than leading brands. Chances are you're paying way too much for razors. Plus, by switching to Dorco you can finally afford to change your blades often, which will result in happier, healthier skin (something else I think we all want in 2014!) You don't have to sacrifice quality to save so much, though. Read what others think about our products at DorcoUSA.com, and check out our prices for yourself while you're there. Thanks for hearing us out, and we wish you all the best in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so great! My Dad is trying to eat gluten free and I'm thinking about joining him. This looks like a perfect recipe to start out with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to trying these as soon as I have some overripe bananas. The original version looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Congratulations, love the blog!

    Check out the details on my post:
    http://viewfromthecornfieldsblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/liebster-awardsay-what.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always on the look out for wheat-free recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man I have been craving banana nut muffins! How did you know?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should try these out. I also seriously need to cut out sugar. I put it in my coffee every. single. day! I need to use maple sugar or honey, which ironically enough, I have both of them in my kitchen....

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound good! Thanks for sharing! I am giving away a Starbucks Verismo Brewer on my blog. I would love if you would check it out. http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these muffins this morning, they were delicious and easy to make. I shared them with W and G.J., W asked if he could take 3 home. Thanks, I will make the again, maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the BEST GF muffins I have ever made - they actually taste like the "real thing". My 13 year old daughter who does not generally like my GF/DF/SF muffins LOVED them. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete