family hike

Jan 2, 2014


Yesterday we took off for the woods of our local state park for a late morning hike. M is a huge outdoors guy and has logged many miles on the Appalachian Trail. I think one of his dreams is getting me to backpack with him for a few weeks. He's been asking to go on a day hike for awhile, and for some reason, it finally sounded like a good enough idea to pursue yesterday. There was even a bowl game on and because I was finally excited about a hike, he didn't think twice about staying home to watch the game.

I'm a pretty big cold wimp, but M's helped me realize that being outdoors in the cold can actually be enjoyable if you have the right gear- imagine that! We have collected some pretty high quality outerwear in the last few years and it made such a difference. Between M's backpack and my Beco carrier for Noah, we were set with some water, Larabars, and a few extra hats. I started out carrying Noah and halfway through the hike we switched and I carried M's pack while he carried Noah on his shoulders, and then in the Beco. We planned to do 7 miles, but I'm a bit out of shape and a little over 3 was about all I could do carrying around either a baby or a pack.

It's been an embarrassingly long time since I've given my body a workout and while muscles burned and my ears throbbed, it felt amazing to feel the pound of my heart and breathe in deep the cool, crisp, fresh air. Aside from an occasional airplane buzz and a few other hikers, the trail was quiet and peaceful. It wasn't an easy trail for me, but I felt invigorated and inspired by being in nature. I've hiked plenty of times before, but this time was my favorite because we were able to bring Noah with us and I was able to get a little taste of what it's like to carry a pack. M was quick to remind me that my pack was light and a normal backpacking trip would mean about forty more pounds weighing me down. I told him I might just be up for the challenge.

 

7 comments:

  1. Girl, you look stunning! 2014 is treating you right so far! ;-) And how adorable is that picture of Noah on your back smiling??!! Love it. Happy New Year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun!! What a great way to start out the year. I'm the same, the cold just irks me haha, but maybe if I had the right gear I would enjoy it too! Noah looks so sweet asleep on M's back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great way to get out and enjoy some good fresh air. looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the outdoors with your family!!! I enjoy hiking but I really don't think I'd love backpacking for reals. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great pictures! Looks like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, it looks like it was an amazing hike! We're pretty avid outdoors folks here so I approve. By the way, your blog is absolutely fantastic. Consider me a fan. =D

    ReplyDelete