mini hiatus

Dec 2, 2013

If you can't tell from my absence around here, we've been a little busy! We've been out of town the last two weekends, spending one weekend in Nebraska with Michael's parents for the football game and five wonderful days in Virginia to celebrate Noah's birthday. My dad and sister came back to Tennessee with us to spend Thanksgiving (mom had to work!) and they just left yesterday.

Instead of trying to find time to keep up with posts and reply to emails, I took a chill pill and let myself off the hook- and it was glorious! Although we've been busy, I've been able to spend more time face-to-face with loved ones, have time to catch up on some reading, and overall feel more present than I have in awhile. Last night was the first time I have had a free moment to sit down and write, schedule posts, brainstorm, and reply to some (not all!) emails.
We had a great time at the Nebraska game. It was my first college football game ever and I was pumped to go! Noah did great on our flights and when he got restless we were prepared with the iPad and snacks! Our hotel was two blocks from the stadium and one of the hot spots for watching the game. It was fun feeling like we were right in the center of the action and being able to walk everywhere. We got a tour of the stadium that Friday and found an open gate a few hours before the game on Saturday...talk about really feeling team spirit. I've always given the guys a hard time for how hardcore they are about football, but I have to admit I might have caught some of their football fever as I walked onto the field during our tour and stood near the sidelines for a few minutes on game day. They ended up losing, but we had a great time. Michael's dad was carrying Noah in at the entrance and got stopped because Noah didn't have a ticket. We were shocked- he wasn't even a year old! Thankfully the older man realized it was pointless to try to figure it out and told us to "go on and keep him in your laps". Where else would he be? Noah did great with the loud noise and even slept half an hour in the fourth quarter! We flew back home that Sunday and had three days at home before we were off to Virginia.
After a quick stop in Knoxville for Michael's meeting, we made it to my parents' house that Thursday night. We spent most of the next couple of days preparing for Noah's party. I love the way it turned out! It didn't quite look like my Pinterest inspiration board, and we had it in my dad's garage, but I loved the intimate setting and I think Noah had fun! He really didn't know what to do with his cake and he had zero interest in opening his gifts. My mom took pictures and I'm excited to share once I get them from her! My sister took this adorable picture with Noah...he hadn't gotten his full nap and it was pretty obvious!
We spent Thanksgiving day back in Tennesee and with my uncle and his family. It was the first time my dad and his twin brother had spent Thanksgiving together in thirty years. The girls sat around the dining room table and talked most of the day and the guys watched football and wandered in and out of the kitchen for leftovers. The rest of the week with my dad and sister were spent around the house, relaxing, watching movies, and hanging out. 

Yesterday after they left, we spent some time cleaning the house and getting ready for Christmas decorations! Midway through lunch, after Noah had just laid down for a nap, Michael and I both agreed we were exhausted and went to take a nap! It was nice finally having a day at home all together.We went out for dinner and picked out a Christmas tree.
We have three weeks at home before we start traveling again for Christmas and I'm going to try to soak up as much alone time and normal, boring routine as I can before it gets crazy again! I'm excited about some things going on this month, both in blog-land and in real life! I'm looking forward to writing again! Also, last Monday I guest posted over at Simple Moments Stick about seasons of life! You can read more here!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got a chance to take a breath! I bet your football game was really fun- ours on the other hand? Glad I didn't travel to see that soul-crushing defeat. (Roll Tide anyway....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I can't wait to take our son to the first game-we have to have a ticket for him too no matter if he sits on our laps, kind of a strange rule, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had time to just relax and enjoy life! On the other hand, though, I'm glad you're back to your blog. I missed you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to get overwhelmed and consumed with blog world. And then all of the sudden you take a break and you're like, why do I care about this again? I like to find myself somewhere in between. All that to say, I get the whole rest thing. And not replying to all the emails. I'm slooowly weaning myself off that one. I feel compelled to reply to EVERYTHING. Probably not necessary all the time. Glad you had fun at the game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great to take a few days off from blogging and come back rejuvenated and inspired. It sounds like you've had a lot of great time with your family over the past few weeks! I'm glad you had some time to relax and make memories with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back! I feel like I've been on a bit of a hiatus as well--I think this season calls for it! It's a busy time of year :) Looks like you've been having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete