The Thankful Project | my man

Nov 20, 2013

Today's prompt for The Thankful Project is "something about your significant other". 
Michael & I at the Nebraska Huskers game in Lincoln, NE this past weekend
I love being married to my best friend. Michael and I have been together since we were sixteen and married for two and a half. In our almost nine years together, he's taught me a lot. I've seen all sides of him and we've been through quite a bit in our relationship. 

He's good at a lot of things, and I mean a lot, but if I had to choose one characteristic of his to celebrate, it would be his ability to forgive, and forgive quickly. This is something I struggle with doing, especially if I am very hurt. I tend to hold on to things and let them fester. Michael, on the other hand, might need a little bit of time to get his frustrations simmered down, but he not only forgives, but is also able to let go. 

I'm usually the one who is mad about it a month later when a similar situation creeps up, or a sensitive topic is breached. I dig down deep and yank that hurt back up, and usually throw it at him! He's the complete opposite. Each offense is its own. He's forgiven the past offense and doesn't lump it into a new problem. I'd like to think he's rubbed off on me, or at least opened my eyes to my own struggles in this area. Isn't that what marriage is for? Sanctification...never a clearer picture since the cross. I'm thankful for him (and that there aren't two of me in an argument!). 

What do you love about your spouse or significant other? 

8 comments:

  1. forgiveness is such a great trait/skill to have for a marriage! Because let's be honest we have to do that all the time! Sounds like you've got someone with a really big heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's one of the best traits a spouse can have. What a blessing! :) I too find it hard to forgive and forget sometimes, and am always thankful when Eric shows that grace for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is definitely a good quality to have! My fiance and I are the same way-I hold on to things and he lets them go almost immediately after they happen.

    It's great when your spouse can help you grow in positive ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good quality to have. My husband has it too and he claims it as a spiritual gift. I think forgiveness takes practice. My husband has had to forgive people for some pretty big offenses so I think that is partially why he is so good at it. Me on the other hand - I'm kind of like you! A work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so much more like you than like your hubby. Isn't it amazing how our husbands can spur us onto being more like Christ?!?!? I only hope we do the same for them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, such a great skill to have and one that I know I need to work on more. I'm bad about bringing stuff up again. My husband on the other hand is just pretty great all around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this picture of you two! and i love that you are best friends! that is so important :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post! That is such a great picture of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete