The Thankful Project | The Job

Nov 7, 2013

So, I've realized that all this week while I've supposed to have been writing about things I'm thankful for, I actually have written all about how something good was made out of something awful! That's something to be thankful for alright, but not every situation in my life has been lessons learned from something terrible. The stories about my struggles in Jamaica, my bittersweet piano skills, and how I ended up dissecting a frog three times may not exactly brighten your day!

So instead of telling you about every dumb retail/food service job I had from 15 to 21, and how I'm thankful I experienced them because they made me disciplined and also made me work even harder at getting my degree so I didn't get stuck in a job that I hated......I'm going to talk about Michael's job.


Michael is a Mechanical Engineer and graduated from Virginia Tech. Yep, I married an engineer. You know what that means. That means I married to someone who takes apart our lawn mower engine just for kicks in his free time. That means I'm married to Mr. Logic. That means that I can't just rig something up. Instead it's got to be taken apart, analyzed, and fixed using some engineering skills of which I have none. Seriously, though, I think Michael is one of the smartest people I know. Either that, or he's really good at making stuff up. I think it might be a mix of both! 
***
A little engineer humor to enlighten you...
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. 
***
A few months before he was set to graduate, M had been applying to different positions and had a few phone interviews. He either wasn't interested or he didn't hear back. VT was putting on an engineering job fair and Michael decided to go. He walked around, stopped by a few tables, skipped out on the ones with long lines, and just happened to walk by a specific table. The man he met there was the Engineering Manager who would be Michael's boss if he was offered the position. Michael talked with him for a few minutes and found out that the position was located right outside of the town where Michael's late grandfather's family originated. The man was really excited about talking with Michael again and he left with a scheduled official interview.

Michael had no trouble in the interview and the entire panel was excited about him. It wasn't very long afterwards that he was asked to visit the job's location and have one final interview. We knew the job was pretty much a given at this point, but some formalities needed to be taken care of. He and I went down, got a hotel, and spent the weekend looking for places to live. He was offered the job and that May, after graduation and a month before our wedding, we packed up all of our stuff and set out for our new house in our new town. 

There's a whole lot more to the story than that, but the part I'm most thankful for is that God provided a job for Michael. Really...for us. This job, and Michael's hard work, has allowed us to be able to choose me staying at home with our kids, and eventually homeschool them. I realize that not everyone who wants that is afforded the opportunity. I'm so incredibly thankful that God worked in the details. The insurance is good, the pay provides, Michael enjoys what he is doing, and he has some pretty great opportunities for the future with this company. It may not always be what God has in mind for us, and we don't take it for granted at all, but I'm thankful for how it, and Michael, has provided for us.

7 comments:

  1. Love this! It is so easy to "forget" to be thankful about things like our husbands job as they can seem like a given. Unfortunately, they aren't a "given" for so many families and we are blessed! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Thankful Project! A job is something that we some times take for granted because of its mundane nature but it allows us to accomplish so much.

    Maria Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts. My husband lost his last job three weeks before Mac was due and had to scramble to find another (my maternity leave was unpaid), so I'm just grateful right now he has a job! Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great thing to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I would have thought of this! Genius! I too feel grateful for John's job and that it lets me stay home. It isn't perfect with his travel. But my being home not only lets me take care of Callie but also things around the house so his time home is easier (well usually these days it wasn't the case in the baby days!). So glad you are able to follow your heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, my husband was not an engineer major but he should have been! It's how he's wired and he has a need to fix and tinker with things. He does work in IT so he can take a part computers a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand this!! My fiancé is an electrical engineer! I think it's neat that you chose to speak about his job vs your own! And I think it's great that you are able to be a stay at home mom! I'm hoping for that too at some point in my journey with my future spouse. Great post!

    ReplyDelete