The Thankful Project | a blessing

Nov 14, 2013

Lunch time with DocMcStuffins!
Today's prompt for The Thankful Project is "a blessing".

Oh my, this post could get long if I listed all of my blessings. I could talk all day about the blessing of a home that shelters us from the cold, vehicles, a job that provides, a supportive family, an education, our good health. And then there are more specific ones...the blessings of trials, the encouragement of a friend, the love of a spouse, the family you were born into, the people God brings into your life. Personally, one of the biggest blessings in my life is being able to stay at home with Noah. I've dreamed of staying home with my children and educating them myself for a long time, and I'm thankful daily that that is what I get to do. 

I've been blessed with all of those and more from a God whose love compels Him to give me even my next breath, when I really don't even deserve that. I've wrested with defining the term "blessings" because really, anything God sees fit to give us, whether a trial or a gift, is a blessing. If we have hard circumstances, is God not blessing us? If we're going through a trial, is God withholding grace?

 I have a hard time believing that. I don't think God hands out blessings as rewards in return for our good behavior. I think that He loves us, wants to give us good things, and is saddened when our decisions have natural consequences.  I also think that when we shift the focus of life from ourselves and our happiness to the true purpose of lives -giving glory to Him- we begin to view blessings in a completely different light. They're not just the comforts of a first-world country. They're not just things and people and circumstances. We are blessed, regardless of circumstances, because of our ability to have a relationship with God. This life and its temporal blessings, determined I suppose by your culture, society, etc, are temporary. If we have, or have not, we're blessed regardless.

5 comments:

  1. "if we have, or have not, we're blessed regardless." Beautifully written, my friend. AMEN! blessings are all around us..always..we just have to have our hearts open to see Christs goodness all around us and in us <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is so well said, dear girl! You're so right and you're really making me rethink the word "blessing"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, well written, well said! I especially liked what you said, "we are blessed, regardless of our circumstance." True! True! Sometimes we just don't see it that way because we're so overshadowed by the circumstance. Thanks for a heartfelt post! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. It really humbles you to think this way too. God is good!

    ReplyDelete