The Thankful Project | sisters

Nov 1, 2013

Starting today, I'll be participating in The Thankful Project, a link-up created by Kenzie from Chasing Happy that focuses on intentional gratitude and thankfulness. I've had a rough year emotionally, and I need this. I need to focus on the blessings of my life and get a foothold on my perspective. I'm so excited to get creative with the prompts she gives and share more about myself and my life, too! These won't be my only posts this month, as I've got other posts in mind and might have some days where I publish more than one post! I've been inspired lately, so I think November will be an enjoyable month to write!

Today's prompt? A person. And the first person that came to mind was my sister. 
The relationship I have with my sister Megan is one of my most cherished. We're a month over two years apart. Growing up, we argued just as much as we got along. There was that time she stabbed me in the arm with a pencil and the time I made her sleep in her own room while I had a sleepover with our friends (I still feel guilty for that one, to the point of tears. All she has to do is say, "Remember that one night..." and I start crying. She still knows my sore spots).

The sister relationship is unlike any other you might have. Ours is, anyways. You know each other arguably better than most people in your life, you've seen each other at your ugliest and worst, you've shared a childhood, you can look at each other and instantly know what the other is thinking, and she's the one you want to call when your husband has made you cry. She's also the one you call to vent to when you have a five minute break at work, she's the one who is hard to call sometimes because you're reminded of how much you miss her and home, and she's the one who you've forgiven long before she does anything needing it.

As we've grown up and entered adulthood, our relationship has changed a little. We've taken different paths, we've got our own families now, and even though it's hard to think about sometimes, we've slowly become different people than we were four, five, or six years ago. The thing I love about my sister is that even through all that change, and even through ups and downs and feeling distant and feeling close, she's still my sister. She's still the one who's got my back, and she'll always be the one who feels a little bit like home.

I'm so thankful that God chose to give us to each other. I wouldn't be who I am today without the opportunity of growing up alongside her. She's challenged me, encouraged me, pissed me off, taught me what it looks like to give, and been utterly blunt when I'm being ridiculous. I love that no matter the people that come or go in our lives, we'll always have each other as sisters and best friends.

13 comments:

  1. This is so great! My sister and I are the same way--I remember literally beating on each other when we were little, but I'll be damned if anyone is going to mess with her these days and not have me to answer to. There's something so special about that relationship!

    Thanks for linking up--looking forward to what else you have to say this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sisters are awesome and the relationship you and your sister have, sounds beautiful. so good that you have that best friend in her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a sweet post... make me wish I was closer to my sister... maybe someday but right now we seem to be in such different places...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I'm not super close with three of my sisters but my two "baby" (aka ten year old) sisters are the light of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! And I agree, with family you go from feeling close to feeling distant, the ups and the downs, but in the end they are always there and they are always family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. And the photos are so beautiful. I, unfortunately, am not close with my sister (she's my half-sister and I never see her) but my baby brother and I are super close, despite the 10 year age difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my sister is without a doubt my best friend. i think all the back-and-forth bickering as kids only makes us stronger friends as adults :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm also part of The Thankful Project this November and would love to read more of your work as the month progresses!

    You can check out my blog at elliecoburn.com if you'd like! Wishing you all the best!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad you did. It will be fun to read everyone's posts for the link-up!

      Delete
  9. You and your sister are so alike! I love your post, it's beautiful :)

    Lydia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so agree! My sisters are my best friends. I love that we have that relationship and i miss them living near me so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hardest part- the living far away! I miss having more frequent shopping dates and late night chats.

      Delete