the radio

Sep 30, 2013

I've had this old radio since I was a teenager. With a weird fascination for furniture and a love for vintage/antique pieces, it was one of the treasured items in my room. I knew it came from my mom's parent's house, but beyond that, I had never really dug into its past. 

I made a few phone calls and found out that it used to belong to my uncle and was a gift from his mother-in-law. How in the world did I end up with it? was my question. Long story short, it was kept at my grandparents in the basement and instead of it just collecting dust, someone, I suppose me, decided it should come home with me. 

The details are a bit hazy, and I hate that I don't have a wonderful family story to go with it, but I do know one thing- I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. I have gone through phases of  "this doesn't really go with my decor" to "it's taking up too much space", but something just wouldn't let me get rid of it...even with pleading from Michael! I'm glad I've held on to it. 

Although I don't have a good story beyond it's place in my home, it has been one constant that has seemed to follow me wherever I've gone. It came with me to my first apartment, followed us to our first rental home after we were married, and now sits in our current bedroom, holding my jewelry and Michael's humidor. I'd love to eventually fix the radio and either fix or replace the record player that folds out of the middle. I guess the same thing that drew me to it in the beginning is what keeps me holding on to it now, and that's the potential for restoration and beautiful music. 

Is there an old piece of furniture you've held on to? Or maybe a keepsake item with a special story?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - this is absolutely gorgeous. I absolutely love this radio. And I love that you looked into the history of it, that's so neat! It's gorgeous and really makes your home look beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! What a cool piece of history to have in your home. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's beautiful! the portrait above it of you and your husband goes perfectly with it with the antique car behind you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have a couple of pieces like this and I think all homes need one or two pieces with some sort of story. It looks like it has definitely found a home where you have it. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece of family history! Sometimes it's more the principle than the story behind an item. It certainly looks like it belongs right where it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I LOVE your new blog design! It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete