Social Media & Insecureties

Sep 12, 2013


I can't remember a time I didn't feel insecure about something. It's not an easy thing to live with, insecurity....always feeling bad about yourself or feeling like your flaws are on display for the entire world. Most of the times my insecurities are unfounded. If I dig deeper, I realize that a) it's all about perception and b) everyone has flaws.

I've had to remind myself of these two things even more frequently now that I'm integrated into the world of social media. First it was just Facebook. And everyone has an opinion about everything on Facebook. Your picture or status either gets enough likes to satisfy you or none at all. And it doesn't stop with Facebook. No, it's moved to Instagram, Twitter, and all the other crazy apps out there designed to connect you with others and help you share bits and pieces of your life. For me, the bits and pieces are what it's all about. I love getting to share pictures of Noah, or fun things we've been up to lately. I enjoy sharing parts of our lives with old and new friends. These apps are also outlets of creativity and act as personal statements, in a way.

But lately I've found that the more people I follow, the more dissatisfied and insecure I can become about my own life. I see creative posts and pictures and suddenly mine feel bland or uncreative. I see beautiful women and their #ootd posts and start to feel bad about myself because I haven't managed to put makeup on for the day or can't go buy a brand new wardrobe. I see bloggers becoming friends and leaving comments and suddenly my blog seems uninspiring and boring.

As ridiculous as this sounds, this is what social media becomes for me if I'm not careful. I'm constantly having to remind myself that what I'm seeing is just that- bits and pieces. I'm not seeing the whole picture, the whole woman, the whole day, the whole story. I'm seeing a fragment of what goes on. It is so easy, whether on purpose or without meaning to, to make your life appear like anything you want it to be. So while I'm reminding myself to stay down-to-earth and not try to display myself on social media as something I'm not, I'm also constantly reminding myself that "being myself" means being okay with who I am, even if the woman in the picture does have it all together, and is beautiful, and has a wonderful life. Because her wonderful life doesn't make mine any less wonderful, too.

13 comments:

  1. Chances are the people in the picture also have those feelings once in a while too. Majority of the time I am inspired instead of saddened by the pictures. But if I am having an off day then it's not fun. As you said yourself..it's all about your perception and everyone has flaws :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, yes. I feel all of these things all the time, too. I've come to lower my expectations on things like "likes." haha. And of course, try to remember it's not all about the likes anyway. But still, you wonder, "why isn't mine good enough?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social media can be tricky. I try to remember that sometimes, what people post isn't REAL LIFE. It's the best of real life, and we all have those best times, but life isn't always perfect. No ones is. The ootd posts are on a good day because no one is going to post their ootd on the days they were too busy to get out of their pajamas and put make up on. Another thing I've learned about insecurities is that no one cares. We are our own biggest critics. The world doesn't really care all that much. They probably don't even notice. As long as you're living for you and your family and you're blogging because you want to, then that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely feel the same way. Social media, especially instagram, for me, creates such a sense of dissatisfaction. In this day and age, we are all looking at someone or something else. It's a constant battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that you're able to share your feelings so bravely to the world only shows how strong and confident of a woman you truly are. I have to remind myself that what we see of others is usually the highlight reel. Very rarely do we ever see anyone's B roll - the out takes, the bloopers, and the crap that gets left on the cutting room floor. Chin up, lovely. God created you in His image. There is only ONE you...and you are fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just what you mean! It is so true and difficult at times to not compare yourself to the lady in the picture. There are both pros and cons to social media.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way! I'm so glad I found your blog! Looks like we have so much in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so completely true! I often have to get myself back into a good mindset because of something I'm jealous over or insecure about on social media. Yes, social medica is such a blessing but it also can be kind of a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I bet you are looked upon by many others in the same way. We have to always remember that "all that glitters isn't gold." You are so lovely and it's a delight to stop by and visit. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelsea, I can completely relate. Social media frequently overwhelms me and it's a constant battle sometimes to not compare myself to what I find there. I read a quote once that said "we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone's highlight reel." It's so true, and you're so right. What we see is only bits and pieces of others' lives. No one else's experiences can ever take away from your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way too. I always try to remember that people get to choose what they share online and I do believe that a lot of us would rather share only the good parts. Only a few brave souls would be able to not join the bandwagon and post even the bad parts. Insecurity gets almost everyone of us.

    Gab ☮

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true. You are just seeing bits and pieces. I think we all feel like this, if we're being honest. Also, I JUST realized what #ootd meant. I have seen it a few times and had no idea. Finally when I read it in your post I was determined to stare at it until I figured it out. Luckily it didn't take too long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally identify. Every now and then I have to take a step back and evaluate my usage and motives! This stuff can make you feel insignificant fast if you don't take caution with it!

    ReplyDelete