My bite of the Big Apple

Sep 17, 2013

Coming from a small, southern town, I've always had a fascination for the big city. So when I had the opportunity to travel to Brooklyn my last year of college, I jumped at the chance. It was a trip to the Brooklyn Tabernacle for a one day prayer conference with a final join-up at the end of the day with the weekly Tuesday night prayer and worship meeting, led by Jim Cymbala and the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir.

I went twice in once year. The first time was with a friend from school. We went to every session, wandered around Brooklyn, worshipped with over a thousand people, and were prayed over by Jim Cymbala. It was an amazing experience and one I'll never forget. 
 The second time, I went with my best friend since high school, who also attended the same school I did. This time, we had a bit of a different plan in mind for our time there. We figured that this was our only chance of being that close to New York City for awhile...and who can pass that up? We knew it was just a hop, skip, and subway ride away, so after about ten hours on a crammed travel bus, and one orientation session later, we snuck off during free time around 8:30am.  It was still winter and freezing out. We got breakfast around the corner from the church, bought a homeless man a biscuit and coffee, found the subway, and with no map, set off to find and explore the city. 
I'll never forget that day. We used the maps underground to finally find our way a few blocks from Times Square. We walked. And walked. And walked some more. I think we came to the Rockefeller Skating Rink, first. We wandered all over the city, amazed at how far we had walked and how much there was to see. We saw Times Square, passed the Plaza, walked around Central Park awhile, went into the biggest Toys R Us I've ever seen, passed where they film 'Good Morning America', and went into random stores just so we could warm up before walking some more. We took pictures outside of Tiffany's, visited a beautiful Catholic church to escape the cold and see the architecture, and made our way down to the World Trace Center area. We walked around Battery Park, saw the Statue of Liberty, and grabbed hot chocolate before heading back to the subway and back to our group. 
Thankfully, no one noticed we were gone and we slipped in as the worship service was starting and even made it in the group picture at the end. Okay, yeah...I feel a little guilty for that, but I mostly loved that we took the chance and got a little adventurous! It was one of the best times I've ever had and I'm hoping that someday I get to go back and experience the city again.

What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done?  

Linking up today for Blogtember!

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I definitely think you did the right thing by sneaking away! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an awesome story!!! I think it was in your best interest to explore :) Especially since you had already been on the trip before. I would have done the same thing :) NYC is a really amazing city and there's so much to see. Those are memories you will never forget. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete