Kitchen Makeover

Aug 6, 2013

I'm so excited to be finally sharing our kitchen update on the blog today! It's been completed for about a month now, but it's been usually been a mess right around the time I have free hands to snap some shots! I'm proud of how far our kitchen has come since we moved in.

This entire project was less than $150 and with the help of M's dad and brother, we had 95% of it done in two days. M & I got lazy and took a week to finish the caulking and grouting, but overall it is a really quick project and one that makes a huge difference!

Here is what our kitchen looked like right after we moved in and before the paint job....

Please excuse the terrible photo quality!
Here's progress - a paint job!

And here's the newest update with the tile!

Personally I think the tile adds a world of difference. We decided not to use bull-nosed tile to finish the edges because I wanted it to have a crisp, clean finish. Personally, I think bull-nose tile is a little dated for our kitchen. Also, we brought the tile all the way over to the door on the left because there wasn't really a natural finish point anywhere else. Because of that, we had to finish the wall under the bar and I am so glad we did. I think it really adds to the feel of the kitchen and gives guests a "sneak peek" before rounding the corner to see a full view. To finish the edges, I just did a fine line of caulk and made sure it looked smooth.

I'm proud to say that I'm pretty good at grouting and got the hang of it pretty quickly. The tile-laying part -not so much. The lines in the little section I did are a little un-even, but thankfully it's in an inconspicuous spot! 

I can't tell you how good it feels to be in our kitchen now. I've actually loved it so much that I find myself cooking a lot more! And that's good in more ways than one! This was a win-win in our book and has kind of motivated me for future DIY projects! 

What do you think about the update?Have you had a successful DIY project recently? 

15 comments:

  1. It looks so great!! A white tile black splash is on my (long) list of requirements for my next house. I love how you extended it to the door and under the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is beautiful! I love how the tile wraps around the bar. It is such a neat look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is beautiful! I love how the tile wraps around the bar. It is such a neat look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Ellen! That's my favorite part! You can catch a glimpse of it when you walk in the front door and it really adds a great feel to the rest of the house. :)

      Delete
  4. I love it! It looks fabulous. It is kind of country chic, in my opinion, and I think that look is adorable.
    In a couple months, I will be completely redoing my old room at my Mom's house per her request. I'm excited to see how creative I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the room at your mom's! It's fun to have a blank slate and complete control, isn't it? I'd love to see what you come up with once its done!

      Delete
  5. This is so beautiful. I love the classic white-light !

    ReplyDelete
  6. your kitchen looks so fresh & modern, i love the white tile and it has great lighting too - bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is so wonderful! As for us, our kitchen update bellyflopped big time, and I'm a tad sore about it. Haha! Maybe you could travel South a bit and help me out soon? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so great! You guys are doing such an amazing job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks fabulous!
    again...love love LOVE subway tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great!! ...I will be happy when we move into our house... 3 weeks and 3 days!!!... Love your tile... maybe once i'm moved I'll post some pictures of our house... I miss nesting and setting up my home...renting for just a year I never had the energy to make it really mine!! I don't think I have posted anything about our move...maybe once we are settled!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your kitchen! I adore subway tiles - so chic and classic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks amazing! So clean and bright.

    ReplyDelete