five things.

Aug 9, 2013

Niche | I've been struggling lately with finding my "niche" here in the blogging world. Some of you are lifestyle bloggers, some have amazing style and pictures to prove it, some of you are experts in your "niche" and others of you write anything from motherhood to what you did this week. I feel like I might just be jumbled up in the middle somewhere (except style...I have a terrible fashion sense!).

 Michael and I have made some pretty huge and what some might consider 'out of the ordinary' lifestyle changes in the past few years and there are so many things I'd love to write about pertaining to that. "That" being - traditional foods, natural living, and peaceful and intentional parenting. But I also really enjoy sharing lots of other things, too.... like my favorite outfits from Pinterest or pictures from our latest trip. I guess I'm trying to figure out where I fit and how to share my passions with the blogging world without being so random that it becomes uninteresting. And I'd also love to narrow my blog down to those things without forsaking being able to write freely and artistically.

Homemade & Healthy | Currently, there are three quarts of cabbage and one small jar of garlic fermenting on our counter. There are also two jars of homemade chicken broth waiting to reach room temperature and be chilled in the fridge. I usually hate clutter on my counters, but these are a welcome sight in our kitchen.

The Front Porch | In the past two weeks I've met two separate friends at one of my favorite restaurants in town for lunch. Their food is pretty good, but it's the building that draws me in just as much. The restaurant was opened in the bottom of an older house with a closed in front porch and a quaint, country and homey feel. It doesn't hurt that they have brown sugar and butter biscuits practically waiting for you at your table.
Babywearing | I think wearing your baby is such an important part of the bonding and attachment process. I got a K'tan wrap at my first baby shower and loved wearing Noah snug against me while doing chores or running into the grocery store. Now that he's a bit bigger, the K'tan doesn't give me as much support as I'd like, especially for longer wearing. After seeing The Leaky Boob speak so highly of Beco's Soleil carrier, I had to get one for myself and test it out! It came yesterday and I'm excited to try it out and see if it will be a good fit!
Blog Design | I realized a couple days ago that my blog has changed in design about five time since I started seriously blogging in May. If you haven't noticed, it's changed quite a bit in the last few weeks, as well. I do my own blog design and I really enjoy it, but I haven't been able to find that exact look or feel that I'm going for. I think finding the direction I'd like my blog to go in would help tremendously (see Niche!). All of that to say....I'm switching things around over the weekend! Overall I want a simple space, one where my writing and photography speak for themselves and where you're not being screamed at from my sidebars! So if you come back and it looks just a little bit different, I hope you'll be patient (and like what you find!). It's a work-in-progress, this blog, and I hope that you'll stick around!

Linking up today with the Five on Friday crew - NatashaDarci, April, and Christina!  Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I don't think you have to have a niche. While I blog on mostly one subject. When I blog for baby gizmo it's all over the place. I think variety is good !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wonder about my posting... sometimes I don't know why...why is anyone interested in what I post??...that's what goes thru my mind...I keep on as I find I have meet some great people and don't want to lose touch... I like restaurants that are cozy and feel good to be in too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely loving your blog - even without a nitch! ;-) I don't feel like my blog really has a nitch either. I blog about anything that comes to mind and sometimes I think my faith posts turn away those that like my blog because of my blogging tips and my silly youtube posts turn away those who are there to read about marriage. I've just decided that it's my blog and that's that. ;-)

    I love that you and your husband are so natural! That is the goal my husband and I have as well but with both of us working full time jobs and him being in school it's so hard! What are some of your tips for making it easier and less time consuming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with you girls who can do your own blog design. I'm sure I'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am constantly wondering what my blogging "niche" is. I feel like I have blogger ADD or split personalities. It's something I've been trying to figure out for years and I'm no closer to finding where I fit in. Oh well. And I love your blog design. I'm in the process of having someone help me figure out what to do with mine (since I've never really updated it). Turns out I have very plain boring taste. :) Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what direction my blog is going wither -- and I think that's okay :) Don't restrict yourself from writing anything just because you think you need to have an overall "theme". I love reading what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as you enjoy writing on your own blog, I think that's most important :) Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right with you about finding a niche! Oddly, I don't feel I fit in at ALL with traditional mommy bloggers. I don't actually DO anything interesting. I have a small clothes budget, and therefore, the most uninteresting closet ever. And the blog design stuff? Yeah, I can't stick with one. I redid mine just today. I try to stick with similar colors so my readers don't get too confused, but I just have a hard time nailing "me" into a design of all things. I'm hoping to hire a pro designer sometime! Maybe for my birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I don't know if I have a niche or not, perhaps I need to find mine too. :o) You have a great blog, warm and welcoming. I'll look forward to seeing what changes you do. I wish I knew HTML and could design my own, but I don't, so I pay someone else to design for me. Ugh! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I think that you have strong enough ideas and convictions about your lifestyle and beliefs that you're probably still going to have a consistent "voice" no matter what you write about. I think the voice is what draws me to a blog probably more so than it's niche. Random can be interesting, as long as you still have a feel for the place (or person) that it's coming from. And for the record, you do not have a terrible fashion sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way about finding my blogging niche. My blog can be so over the place sometimes. I think it's about finding your own voice though, even if that means you write about a lot of different topics. If you're true to yourself, your blog will take the direction it's meant to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way at times about my blogging, but I have to remember my favorite blogs are the "random" one. I love the ones where the moms just write from the heart! Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete