In the Kitchen | Roasted Tomato Sauce

Jul 30, 2013

 Surprisingly, our tomatoes have done really well this summer. That, along with our green beans, have flourished and provided us with an abundance of colorful, nutritious veggies that taste so much better than the store-bought ones. I love growing and harvesting my own food. There's pride in it. There's the knowledge that your hard work is, in turn, nourishing your body. There's comfort in knowing just what is in and on your food...or what isn't. 

We've been eating organic produce for a while now and are pretty strict about it in our own home. We make sure our food is gmo-free and not sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. We're steadily making steps towards eliminating almost all chemicals from our food and water, but it's a slow process and sometimes not the most inexpensive one. Growing things at home is one way we take control of what we're putting into our bodies and take another step towards being self-sufficient.
All these bright, red, beautiful tomatoes were begging me to be turned into tomato sauce. I've tried Pioneer Woman's recipe, and while it was good, it kind of tasted like the jar version from the grocery store. I wanted something with a little more flavor, body, and uniqueness. And let's face it, this mama doesn't have three hours to be standing over a pot of tomatoes. 

I finally came across this recipe from Joyful Healthy Eats and knew it was the one for me. I adore tomatoes when they're roasted and love the flavor it brings out. It was a quick fix, too, and Michael agreed it turned out to be the best sauce yet! 
Roasted Tomato Sauce
Ingredients.
 2.5 lbs of roma tomatoes
1 cup of basil
4 garlic cloves, in their shell
1 tsp. of salt {add more if needed}
1/2 tsp. of pepper
3 T. of olive oil

Instructions. 
Wash Roma tomatoes. Cut in half and place on a baking sheet. Next, place garlic cloves with shell intact onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet into a 400┬║ oven and roast for 25 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and let cool. Next, remove garlic clove shells. Place all tomatoes and garlic in a blender along with fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Blend until desired consistency. Serve with your favorite pasta. As a HUGE Parmesan fan, I suggest loading your bowl up with the shredded goodness to your heart's content!

Growing up a picky eater, I've never liked plain tomato. Up until about a year ago, I dipped around chunks in my salsa and always ordered my burgers with "no tomato, please". I still don't eat them by themselves unless they're with something else, say bruchetta, salsa, or in some sort of Italian dish. This recipe, however, had my mouth watering for them as soon as they came out of the oven. They smelled absolutely delicious with the roasted garlic cloves (one of my favorite foods!) and olive oil. I probably could have had them with my pasta just as they were. Although I really enjoyed the consistency of the pasta once blended, as well. 

I've really enjoyed cooking lately. I enjoy having an honest opinion from Michael and getting excited to see what he thinks about it. Our cutting board has almost had a permanent place on our counter and to me that says fresh, real, and made with love.

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I still dip around the chunks in my salsa!! :) I thought I was the only one. I love roasted tomatoes, though, especially grape tomatoes. This sauce sound really good, definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh this recipe sounds amazing!! Our garden got a late start so we still aren't picking tomatoes yet but I can't wait. I never used to eat tomatoes, until one day years ago my husband's grandfather picked some from his garden and they smelled so good, I tried it and was hooked! But if it's winter and I'm at a restaurant I'll still get my burger with no tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious and fresh!! I'm definitely going to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying this. Looks so good! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete