In the Kitchen | Greek Quinoa Salad

Jul 17, 2013

I don't know about you, but sometimes I have trouble keeping variety in our menu. I have winter staples - chili, crockpot chicken, and all kinds of soups- and summer staples- chicken on the grill with some sort of roasted veggies. We love quinoa, but it gets old after awhile when served plain. I came across several different quinoa salad recipes and loved the idea. It's perfect for summer as it's served cold, not too heavy, and really healthy! 

This recipe came about by mixing a few of my favorite ingredients from several different recipes. It kind of was accidentally created. I was out of a few ingredients from one recipe, so I improvised! Michael loves Greek salad and I've been fixing it a ton lately, so this is my spin-off from that! This is a super easy salad to fix beforehand and take to a party, bring to work for lunch, or have for leftovers for the week. You really can't go wrong with this recipe, too, and can really make your own version based on preference and what's in your kitchen!
Greek Quinoa Salad
1 C Un-cooked Quinoa
2 C Water
1 C Diced Tomatoes
1/2 C Feta Cheese
1/2 C Corn
1/3 C Diced Cucumber
1/3 C Diced Red Onion
1/3 C Sliced Black Olives
3 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
1/2 Tbs. Basil
1/2 Tbs. Parsley
1 tsp. Sea Salt

Bring 2 C of water to a boil. Add 1 C of Quinoa, simmer for 10 minutes or until done. In a large bowl, mix quinoa with veggies, feta cheese, herbs, and salt. Lastly, drizzle olive oil and lemon juice evenly over salad and mix. Refrigerate until cold, around one hour.  (I fixed our last batch close to dinner and stuck it in the freezer to speed up the chilling process).
Do you struggle with finding variety in your meal planning? What are your summer quick-fixes? I'd love some links to your favorite summer recipes! Have a great Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. I've made quinoa once or twice before and liked it, but I always seem to forget about it. Thanks for the inspiration! It will be great way to use all of our fresh summer vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quinoa so much! There is a great watermelon quinoa salad at a little independent restaurant near me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good gracious!! This sounds divine!!
    I'm a HUGE quinoa fan!! All those ingredients speak right to my palate ;)
    Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm almost 61 years old and I've never heard of quinoa. My goodness, guess I live under a rock! :o) But, it looks a bit like rice and it definitely looks like something I would enjoy. I'll have to check it out. At least I can say that I learned something new today. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything Greek and I'm hooked :) We started eating quinoa a few months ago and love it! Always nice to find new recipes to try :) Just found your blog through One Sweet Tuesday's and I love it! You're so cute and I can't wait to keep following!

    Grace & Love,
    Kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, this sounds amazing! We love quinoa but I've been looking for a way to do it a little differently. Also try it on tacos! Yum.

    ReplyDelete