In the Kitchen | Creamy Three Cheese Tortellini

Jul 23, 2013

During our first year of marriage, I found myself bored with our dinner options. I was constantly reading blogs and coming across amazing food bloggers who challenged my knowledge of cooking and inspired me to try new things. One evening I had gotten home from work early and decided to try something new. I hadn't planned for this meal, so I used whatever we had in the fridge or pantry. 

I honestly don't even remember all I put in this thing....a little pasta, a vegetable, some cheeses, some outrageously mismatched spices, and I forget the rest. I was really proud that I could create something off the top of my head and was excited to try the final result. Michael got home from work, I finished up dinner, and we sat down to try it out. After only one bite, we both looked at each other with one of those disgusted looks and couldn't eat anymore. I've always appreciated that Michael is honest about the things I fix. My feelings might be hurt a little, but they'd be hurt way more if he pretended he liked it. I knew deep down that it was gross. We threw it out and ordered pizza, I think. 

Since then, I've come quite a way with my cooking skills. One of my favorite types of food is Italian and I wanted a way to create a nice dish at home instead of always craving it from somewhere else. I tried this recipe twice before I got it the way I wanted it and now it's one of our favorites. It is so quick and easy to fix and is so delicious. And this one is way better than the newlywed mystery pasta dinner.
Creamy Three Cheese Tortellini
1lb Buitoni Mixed Cheese Tortellini
1/2 Pint Whipping Cream
1/3 C Peas
1/3 C Feta Cheese
1/3 C Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Tbs. Red Pepper Flakes

Bring water in a pot to a boil, add Tortellini. Cook for ten minutes. Drain, add back to pot, reduce heat to low. Add whipping cream, feta cheese, parmesan, red pepper flakes, and peas. Stir together until cheese is melted. Creates around 4 servings.
It makes me feel good when Michael asks for this dish or brags about it to our guests. It's a really easy recipe and is wonderful for nights when a quick dinner is needed. I love that it mimics alfredo, but with a bit more character from the Feta and peas, and a little kick with the hot pepper flakes. And it goes so well with garlic bread!

Have you ever had a creative trial recipe go terribly wrong? Or have you ever put something together and been surprised when it tasted great?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsea, I love your blog! The pasta looks amazing :)
    Sorry to be off topic, but I noticed you posted in Google Groups about the spacing between your post title and date. You seem to have it fixed now? Is there any chance you could let me know how you did it?
    Thank you!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a vegetarian and definitely need to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks soooo delish! We love Italian food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "three cheese"! The tortellini is just like a proverbial "cherry on top"! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm...YUMMY!! I literally just made my grocery list specifically based around this recipe! Thank you so much for posting this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks good! and same here... the first time i made stew for my husband i forgot to put salt and pepper to season it and i could tell he was trying to hard to show me he really liked it. lol. we get a good laugh out of it now :)

    rhea @ rheaetcetera.com

    ReplyDelete