Well, that's embarrassing...

May 10, 2013

Day 10 of the Challenge is "Most embarrassing moment(s). Spill.".

I'm going to get real honest in a step to break my need to always have it together.


I'm a blusher.

My face goes red and I get hot at the most random things.

Come up to me in the grocery store from out of the blue, especially if we're just acquaintances, and you might as well have tripped me in front of 100 people because the reaction that happens is about the same, sans the skinned up knee. Bringing attention to me unexpectedly will do it, too. Bring attention to me in a crowd or ask me a difficult question in front of a group and it only takes seconds.

I can't even help what happens. It is literally involuntary. I feel it coming up- my face slowly turns bright red, my eyebrows start to sweat, and my head gets hot.

Part of this is maybe because I'm a recovering, insecure perfectionist and if I I'm not 100% ready for that particular moment, as insignificant as it is, I get vulnerable, super-sensitive, and really would like to just hide. I can't control it. And I don't always feel all of these insecure feelings. Sometimes I just get red for no reason at all.

It's improved drastically over the years, but I still find myself in these situations occasionally. It really doesn't happen very much and, as I've analyzed it a bit more, often happens when my hair is a mess, makeup is absent, and I don't feel like I look my best. Either that, or I'm afraid you're judging me as I speak. I think I'm projecting, because I probably am the one who really does that to you. (Oops). I am immediately aware of it because I'm sure you are, too. So maybe it's a vanity issue. Cue Carly Simon and judge me, why don't you? I'm making myself sound a little crazy. In fact, I can be very skilled at public speaking, I enjoy making friends and meeting new people, and I handle situations as they come pretty well, my face might just turn red in the process.

So I could share with you the time I was in second grade and someone opened up the bathroom door on me and my first instinct was to do a karate kid "Hi-yah" with the broom in the corner - arguably more embarrassing than getting caught on the toilet. Or I could share with you the story about how I fell down the stairs at church and made it more ridiculous by trying to grab onto everything on my way down. (Just let go, and let God people. Otherwise you look a fool). Or even the moment on our honeymoon while packing to go home that I, after trying to keep bodily noises to myself for years in our relationship, finally accidentally let one slip.

But you know, It's really not even those moments I deem most embarrassing. I usually get oddly bold after moments like those. I recover, make a bad joke, and then everyone focuses on how bad a joke it was and forget what I did for awhile. I don't mind looking silly.

No, it's those smaller moments that either embarrass me, or for no explanation at all, cause my face to turn red. The ones where I'm uber-aware of my insecurities because I  think you're uber-aware, too. And really, the only thing that you're aware of is the girl whose face is the color of the tomato in your cart.





12 comments:

  1. I'm a blusher too! I have got slightly better as I've got older but it still happens! I enjoyed reading your post, it made me smile.

    Have a good day
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it embarrassing? Especially when someone points it out! Glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. I'm a fair skinned red head so I know ALL about blushing. What's worse than the actual blushing? When someone says "Hey, you're really blushing." Really? Huh, I didn't know that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Elizabeth! It makes it so much worse and causes me to turn even more red! People do that to me all the time and it's aggravating! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hehe... this was a great read! I don't think I'm a blusher, but my face gets HOT when I'm about to speak in front of a lot of people or if I get embarrassed. It's like all the blood rushes to my head for a minute, but then it pretty quickly recedes.

    Your blog is so cute, and it seriously looks like I created that button just to match your space! Ha! :) Have a great weekend, Kelsea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, I'm so glad you stopped by! I get the hot rush, too, even if I am prepared and ready. It's funny how our emotions really do affect us in physical ways!

      I thought the same thing about the button! Grey and Yellow have been my favorite combo for a long time. In fact, those were the colors in our wedding. Classic, I say ;)

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Kelsea! I may not blush as easily, but as a fellow recovering, insecure perfectionist, I can certainly relate. Also, your pictures are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! It really takes a conscious effort to "let go" doesn't it? I'm not usually good at it. Maybe if I was I wouldn't blush so much! ;)

      Delete
  5. I am also a blusher and sometimes it is just so awkward. My timing is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the timing! When I need to present calm and collected is when it flares up the worst! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm EXACTLY the same way! I can laugh off the big moments, but the little ones, where people probably didn't notice, are what embarrass me most.

    xo,
    Katie
    hellolittlebean.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird how that works? I'm sure there's some psychology behind that, but it really does make for some awkward moments with people! Glad you stopped by, I LOVE your blog! :)

      Delete