rantin' and a ravin'

May 23, 2013

Day 22. The Challenge: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel. (a pet peeve, a current event, a controversial topic, something your husband or roommate or neighbor or boss does that really ticks you off)


 You all don't even want to know how many soapboxes I own. Seriously, I get on a couple every single day and my husband is usually my only audience, the poor man. But really, everyone who has known me now for some time always refers to these soapboxes when I get to ranting and raving over all the things that bother me. I originally had a hard time choosing which soapbox to pull out, however, one of the most recent things I've ranted about to a few close family or friends is about comments that are made to me concerning motherhood or Noah from complete strangers. And now I'm going to rant to my readers!  

"You just wait until he's a teenager!"
Okay, yes. I realize that through the stages of life children turn into teenagers who crave independence and that progression is sometimes an adjustment. However, just because your child is a jerk with a record, doesn't mean that all children eventually turn into someone that gives you a hard time and wants to do bad things simply because he is in the two-digit category.

"Do you breastfeed? You're not going to be one of those freaky moms who breastfeeds until their kid is like, five, are you?" 
Really, people? Really? So what if I did? How does it affect you? And how is it any of your business?

"I could never breastfeed. It's just weird."
Um, you do realize that I am currently breastfeeding? I couldn't get away with telling you you were weird for giving your baby formula, so what makes it okay for you to say that? (I don't think formula is weird.)

"Is Daddy babysitting tonight?"
Actually, no. Daddy is not babysitting tonight. Rather, Daddy is being Daddy while Mommy just happens to be out and about. You wouldn't ask my husband if I was babysitting tonight while he was out, would you? What's the difference? 

 "You're going to get lonely staying at home. You're going to be bored out of your mind and just want to come back to work." (said to me before I quit work and before Noah was born)
Who says that to someone who just told you, excitedly, that she is blessed to be able to choose to stay at home with her children? Alright negative Nancy, while we're at it let's talk about how awful the life you choose to live is, too! 

*complete stranger comes up to Noah, grabs his hand, touches his face, and takes his Paci out of his mouth to get a smile*  
Jaw. to. the. floor. 

Those are just a few of the crazy comments or questions directed my way quite often. I will say that I know no one means harm and their comments are usually made out of ignorance or small talk, but it gets old! 

Is there any one phrase or question someone tends to say to you about your specific situation? Are they well-meaning, or just choosing to be rude? 




1 comment:

  1. Geez. It already bothered me that people usual say negative things to pregnant women, I hadn't even considered the things that they say afterwards. Whatever happened to, "if you can't say something nice..?"

    ReplyDelete