In the Kitchen | Parmesan Herb Biscuits

May 5, 2013

Last weekend the ladies at the church we've been attending had a Saturday morning breakfast. After hearing all of the good things that were being brought, I wanted to try something a little different than your normal breakfast food.

I absolutely love Parmesan cheese. I kid you not it goes on over half of the things I eat- my veggies, in my quinoa, my grits, in my homemade burgers, etc. Instead of giving in to my sweet tooth, I wanted something that was a bit more subdued! Parmesan Herb Biscuits immediately came to mind and I adapted my own recipe after one I found online. I think they turned out well. They had just enough flavor without being overpowering and paired deliciously with butter.


 Parmesan Herb Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary

1 tablespoon oregano
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg


Instructions:
1)Heat oven to 400 F (205 C).  Grease bottom only of 12 muffin cups.
2)Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, herbs, and cheese.
3)In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk (or milk soured with a tablespoon of vinegar), butter, and egg.
4)Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.  Over mixing will make the dough tough.  5)Spoon batter into muffin cups.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from pan.

*Adapted from Food is my love language's version.
 The original recipe called for 2 cups of flour, and instead of using white only, I split it up and did a cup of white and a cup of whole wheat. Whole wheat can be pretty heavy in things like this so I thought the combination might help with that. I also used different spices than they recommended to give it my own little twist. I also wasn't a big fan at the idea of pepper flakes, especially for breakfast. A shout out to my husband who ran to the store and got me buttermilk!

What new recipes have you tried or changed up some? I'd love new suggestions! 




2 comments:

  1. just over from BEDM and LOVE this recipe! funny that i had grits for breakfast and only when i was cooking them realized that i was out of parmesan. i'm going to try them next week! thanks for the inspiration, Kelsea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Isn't parmesan the greatest? I love cheese in general, but any excuse to add it in to a recipe and I'll do it :) Hope you get to try out the recipe sometime!

      Delete