my worst traits

May 24, 2013

Day 24. Your top 3 worst traits. 



This challenge is kicking my butt. This blogging daily is great, but hard! I'm not sure I could do it without a topic list. It's also been challenging in that some of the topics have really forced some much-needed introspection. 

My top 3 worst traits. Here. We. Go.

1) I tend to jump on the bandwagon too easily. 

If someone brings up a great and valid point, I'm super quick to agree. But then later, someone counters that point with an opposite and even better point, and I'm left wondering why I didn't consider both sides. I then am disappointed in myself for being so quick to form an opinion sometimes, be it politics, theories, or even a petty argument between two people. I'm an extremely passionate person and am drawn to passionate people and ideas. I do want to become more discerning instead of "tranced" right away. I'd like to take the time to really mull it over before feeling the need to come to a conclusion. 

2) I find it difficult to give the benefit of the doubt. 

I think this applies most strongly to my relationship with Michael. I've done a terrible job of intentionally seeing the best in him during an argument or problem between us. I tend to think the worst about his motive, thoughts, and actions instead of showing grace first, then dealing with the issue through that lens. Sorry, honey! 

3) I'm a perfectionist. 

To a fault. It can affect many of the decisions I make and many facets of my life. I wish I could change it, but I'm just not sure now. It affects my perception of situations occasionally and causes pain where there should be joy. Pain from the thought that I'm not good enough. Hurt from the thought that I've somehow failed. This turn into insecurity, and insecurity makes even simple situations difficult emotionally. I am finding ways to improve this and learn to accept things the way that they are. and introspection goes a long way. But I've got a long way to go. 

Whew. Glad that's over with. There you go- a bit more about me that doesn't sound pretty enough to put in my description. I enjoy being transparent and vulnerable, though. It's so important to do...to be, isn't it? Why go through life closed off? I believe community happens when we let each other see scars, wounds, battles being fought, not just the highs and victories. 

Do you find it hard to be vulnerable with others? Or are you pretty much an open book? 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't list number one as one of my bad traits but I totally agree! i am so quick to switch! :)

    ReplyDelete