Mother's Day

May 12, 2013

Day 12 of The Challenge is "What do you miss? (a person, a thing, a place, a time of your life...)".


  I think you'll agree with me when I say, "Sometimes a girl just needs her mom, no matter how old she is."

My mom is amazing. She's also one of my best friends. We're eight hours apart and not a day goes by that I don't wish she was right down the road so I could just drive over. We get to see each other every couple of months, sometimes more, but I always wish the visits were longer and that she didn't have to leave. 
There are lots of moments in my life in which I wish I could reverse time and to where I wish I could go. Most of them are times I wish I could change something I regret and the thoughts of them are accompanied by sadness. 

There are only a few moments in my life that I wish I could go back to for the pure  joy of the experience, and a lot of those moments include my mom. 
I miss birthdays during my childhood. My mom always hung streamers from our door, woke us up sweeter than normal, and had homemade signs taped to the wall. She still always makes a big deal out of our birthdays. 

I miss being little and climbing into bed with her in the morning after dad had left for work and watching tv for a little. I still do this occasionally when I'm home. 
I miss nights in bed when we were young begging her to rub my face just a few minutes more because  it felt heavenly. She still rubs my face when I ask. 
I miss her being right down the hall, available for glasses of water and comfort for 'I can't fall asleeps'. 
{photo courtesy of Chelsa Yoder Photography}

Because we're miles apart, I miss being able to go into her closet and grab whatever I want to wear, because she's cool like that. 

Daily, I miss the face to face conversations where I can say anything and know that judgement is nowhere to be found in her eyes. 
{photo courtesy of Chelsa Yoder Photography}
And right now, I'm missing spending Mother's Day with the woman whose example has inspired me to be the same kind of mother to my children that she is to me. 

I love you, mom. You're an amazing and wonderful woman and I hope my children feel the same way about me that I feel about you. 

{photo courtesy of Chelsa Yoder Photography}


Happy Mother's Day!







2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post - both you and your mom are gorgeous!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'll be extremely happy if I look like her in 20 years ;)

      Delete