IN FRONT OF THE LENS

May 17, 2013

Day 17.  A favorite photo of yourself and why.
I have to say, there are not many photos of myself that I like. I'm not a master of posing, with my face or my body. I usually end up looking like I have to pee when I try to pose my body and my face will look distorted or better yet, like I mustered up a fake smile at the count of "three".

About a week ago, I was feeling kind of down about my failure to get on the fitness train after Noah was born. A mix of laziness and lack of motivation has left me wondering if I'll ever get to where I want to be. I had had a particularly long day that day with a teething baby, I hadn't put any make-up on and I was in less-than-attractive mis-matched shorts and a t-shirt when Michael got home. I just wasn't feeling my best and was having a pity-party.

I knew I needed some new pictures for the blog (hence the same shirt in my icon photo at the top of the page and the exact same photo on my "about me" page) and I was needing to feel good about myself. I curled my hair, put make-up on, whined about how I have nothing stylish in my closet, and finally got it together enough to feel comfortable. I reluctantly asked Michael to take some pictures for me and he obliged. He's been really supportive and encouraging about my getting back into blogging, and that feels good.

He was my test subject for the settings on the camera. Once I got the ISO and shutter speed worked out, I handed over the camera and stepped in front of the lens. He took quite a few pictures and the bloopers are terrible and hilarious, but of the ones that turned out, this one is one of my favorites.

I look natural, relaxed, and happy. It doesn't feel over-posed, but just right. I'm usually on the view-finder side of the camera, but every once in awhile it feels good to be the subject and feel good about the outcome.

Noah has dimples when he smiles and it makes me smile to notice mine in this photo and think that he might just have gotten them from me. This mini photo session helped me realize that I can feel beautiful and that it shouldn't be dependent on a number on a scale or society's standards. 

I tend to critique every single picture I'm in to the point where I know I'm annoying everyone because I'm even annoying myself. I appreciate that today's challenge forced me to see myself in a different, more positive light. I think we need more of that, especially as women. We need to feel beautiful, even if we have a few extra pounds we're wanting to lose and don't look like the latest Vogue spread. We are women. We need to feel beautiful because we are unique,we are creative, we are loved by God, we are created in His image.

We need to feel beautiful because we are.

When do you feel the most beautiful? Is it when you're all dressed up? Is it when you're with a certain someone? Is it while doing something you're passionate about? 
 


11 comments:

  1. Kelsea, you are gorgeous and this picture is gorgeous!! I know that just because someone else says it doesn't mean that we will believe it ourselves.. but still, it's true! Whenever I see a picture of myself I check first to see how big my nose looks, then how squinty my eyes are, how round my face is... the list goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison- that means a ton :) And I do the same thing! We're our worst critics aren't we?

      Delete
  2. Such a gorgeous picture Kelsea! You're right, you DO look relaxed and natural, and that color looks great on ya! And such wise words too. So glad you shared this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I feel good in red :) Glad you stopped by- I've been enjoying your travel posts!

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful picture, girl. The red shirt really makes your eyes pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aleshea! :) Red is one of my favorite colors to wear!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photo!! Visiting from Story of my Life :D

    Chantal @ Scattered Seashells
    www.scatteredseashells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! Glad you found me!

      Delete
  5. First of all, that shirt/belt combo is really cute. Also, you look great, but I definitely get feeling awkward in front of the camera. Normally I don't care except when taking style pics. I can't say exactly when I feel the best. Sometimes I just look in the mirror, and I'm like, "Yeah, I look cute today." I don't know. It's weird. Stopping by from the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually try to throw a belt with loose tops to accentuate the right places :) I associate with what you're saying, it just depends on the day! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete