A Quote

May 4, 2013


From the time I was a little girl, I always wanted to hurry up and grow up. In fact, that has been my desire until the past year. In some ways this desire positively motivated me to look ahead, set goals, and work hard. In other ways it robbed me of enjoying the now. I look back on missed opportunities to soak in fleeting moments with family and friends. I look back on times in my life when it could have been different if I hadn't been in such a hurry to "get there". I look back when I thought I knew where "there" was. But I now realize that the looking back is just as worse as wanting to hurry ahead. Both rob me of the joy in the present, my present. This quote is framed in our living room and has been helpful in reminding me of all of this. Of course there is some value in learning from the past as well as planning for the future, but the key for me to feel like I've given one hundred percent of myself is being focused on this minute, this milestone, this conversation, this loved one, this now. I'm not perfect at it, but it's something I'd like to keep working on.



1 comment:

  1. That is something I often need to remind myself, too. I like your new design!

    ReplyDelete