a myriad

May 29, 2013

I've completely fallen off the bandwagon of this Blog Everyday in May challenge. A Memorial Day camping trip will do that to you, you know. I've been super spoiled having my family around, first getting to spend all last week in Virginia with them and then having my parents with us for over a week. I'm already dreading the day they leave.

Nevertheless, I can always catch up! And like Jenni said, there aren't BEDM police or anything, right? I've got five days to catch up on, so I'd better get started!

Also, as a little side note, I've been nominated for the Liebster Award by Allison over at The Bauble Dept. . I can't wait to post about it! Stay tuned in June!

Day 25. Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget.
I come from a pretty conservative background. The kind of background where everyone wore skirts and had the "two-fingers-from-your-collarbone rule" for their neckline (totally kidding about that rule, I made it up, but it might as well have been one). But you know the peculiar thing about me? I actually enjoyed what I wore at the time. I went through what my husband calls my "skirt" phase, from age 12 to about 17, where my wardrobe had the good Baptist staples of jean, khaki, and navy skirts, in both knee-length and ankle-length variety. I rocked it. Or so I thought.

Our youth group at the time was a pretty tightly-knit group. A particular friend, who I still call a friend today, has always been super honest and is not afraid to tell it like it is (I love this about her!). She basically told me one day, "You dress like a teacher....or....a mom". Talk about an eye-opener. What sixteen year old wants to be compared to a teacher? We laugh about it now, and even though I hope she might not say the same today (although, she probably would), I'm not kidding when I say every single time I try on an article of clothing or mill over an outfit at the store I hear that phrase in my head and base my decision on whether I think I'm dressing my age or not.  Thanks, friend. I mean it. ;)

Day 26. Something you read online. Leave a link and discuss, if you'd like.
I've been keeping up with this family's blog since my college days. Their story of adoption, selling everything they had, and moving to Haiti with four children to serve the people there has inspired my soul. I have wept through so many of her posts and my heart has ached and been sick to my stomach at my own depravity, and that of our nation.

This post is one that has left me still working through the emotions it unturned. It makes my decisions on which pillow fabric to buy and which car I want next seem more insignificant than a grain of sand. My heart struggles with this on a daily basis- how can I mix the reality of things like laundry and cleaning and comfort with the reality of poverty and sorrow and pain and injustice?

Reality is a Weighty Thing by Heather Hendrick

I still don't know the answer. I really don't.

Day 27. A letter to your readers.
I am so glad that you've stumbled upon my little corner of blog-land. This started as a way to relieve stress, foster my creative side, and get my thoughts out there. I never knew that the "blog world" would inspire me as much as it has. I've wept through your posts. I've laughed to tears through your posts. I've been made aware. I've made lifestyle changes from the amazing information that has been shared. God has used many of you to speak to me right where I am. I can only hope that as I continue to write that I can touch your life in a fraction of a way that mine has been touched. I hope you leave with a new perspective, a new inspiration, a new way of looking at things. Please leave feedback, good or bad! I love being both encourage and stretched through what you have to say. Thank you for reading!

Day 28. Only Pictures.

Here's why I've been MIA the past few days.....

Day 29. Five songs or pieces of music that speak to you or bring back memories.
I've always loved music. Story goes I was always singing or humming as a little girl. I started piano lessons around the age of eight, majored in music for awhile, and you can always find me singing, whistling, or humming. Music moves me in ways not many other things in my life do. I've never been one to keep up with what was on the top 20 list. I like what moves me, speaks to me at the time, and gives my soul chill bumps. One of my favorite quotes is from George Elliot - "I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music." 

I walked down the aisle to this song. The emotions I felt in that moment are unexplainable, but felt when this plays. 
River Flows in Your by Yiruma on Grooveshark
This songs makes me cry every time I listen. True love. 
What Are Words by Chris Medina on Grooveshark
This song reminds me of the town I grew up in, and it brings up a ton of conflicting emotions for me.
Merry Go 'Round by Kacey Musgraves on Grooveshark
God really used this song in my life during a dark time. I'd lay in bed, put my headphones on, push play, and cry out to Him.
Keep Singing by MercyMe on Grooveshark
This is such a beautiful song, and I laugh because it sounds like I know all of the foreign words, but I have no clue. I just sing what they're singing and, after years of belting it out in the car, somehow it sounds the same.
Sager/Foster: The Prayer by Josh Groban and Charlotte Church on Grooveshark

That was a super long post and THANK YOU if you stuck through to the end! I'm hoping to finish these last two days strong!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! Glad you've been having a good time with your family! Riley always told me that I dressed like a kindergarten teacher. I could never get him to clarify if that was a good thing or a bad thing... but now I think about it whenever I buy something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This challenge has been difficult! I back blogged a few posts last week. I commend you for sitting down and bumping out so many posts at once! P.S. Your baby is absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete