Baby Update: 31.5 Weeks

Sep 19, 2012


How Far Along: 31 weeks, 5 days - almost 8 months!
Size of Noah: Somewhere between 3 and 3.8  pounds and probably around 16.5 inches, give or take. At the rate my belly has been growing the past month or so, I'd say he's growing well :)
Total Weight Gain: 18-20 pounds. It's obviously picked up a bit. :/ I've really done a good job lately at eating healthy and eating out less so let's hope from here on out it is mostly baby and belly. I can feel changes in my thigh/hip area and I think I'm beginning to show the weight all over more. I know our bodies hold on to fat a bit more snug when we're pregnant, but I'm not taking it so well. It's hard not to feel really insecure with all these crazy changes going on. I've only got a little over 8 weeks left, so let's hope I don't hit the 30 pound mark!
Maternity Clothes: Pretty much everything right now. I sleep in M's tshirts because they leave me plenty of room. None of my old t-shirts fit me anymore. :(
Sleep: This has probably been my biggest compliant so far- I'm uncomfortable sleeping on my back at this point but it's also uncomfortable to roll over a lot. I also have to pee ALL THE TIME, and Noah lets me know when my bladder is full! I just don't get a full night's sleep like I used to. Which according to EVERY SINGLE WOMAN, I better get used to. If I only had a nickel...
Stretch Marks: Nada. none. zip. zilch. Now if only it will stay that way through the next four or so pounds my baby has to grow. Vitamin E oil, don't fail me now!
Labor Signs: I can't really tell the difference between Braxton Hicks and just having some muscle soreness due to dehydration. I've had to pick it up on the water intake and it has helped. I only notice the occasional tightness lower in my abdomen, but usually it lasts about two minutes then goes away.
Belly Button: It's starting to flatten out and look a little odd. But still an innie!
Gender: BOY. I'm getting more and more used to the idea of having a son. This sounds awful, but boys have always annoyed me. Once they're past like two years old, they just get on my nerves. I know I won't feel that way about our own son, but it has been somewhat of a mental adjustment!
Movement: TONS. Noah moves a ton during the day and right before bed. He really has some drastic movement going on! I love the ones where it feels like he is just rolling or moving slowly. I now can tell which side he's snuggled against and when his foot or head is lodged up into my ribs. I'm hoping he goes head down smoothly in the next few weeks as things get more snug.
Food Cravings: Nothing really specific, thankfully. Still struggling some with sugar, but I've found this hasn't been as much of a problem as it was early on.
Food Aversions: Meat. I can eat some chicken, but I have zero appetite for red meat.

How's Mama?  I'm feeling WAY more tired recently. Right around 10:30 every morning I feel like I need to go back to bed. I think this has to do with the heat and not having enough water at some times, but I'm really trying to take it easy and drink a TON of water. 

I also made "the leap". M and I have always planned for me to stay at home with our kids and two weeks ago I took one more step towards that and put in my notice at work. More on that later, but I feel so blessed by God to be able to make this a reality. 

Also, we've had our third natural birth class this week.  It is geared towards the midwife patients and focuses mainly on natural child birth and alternative pain relief. Most of the couples in the class have the same desires I do for birth. I can't tell you how annoyed, hurt, or discouraged I've been with comments I get when I explain why we're seeing a midwife or the choices I'm trying to make for a natural, intervention/drug free birth.  I don't know if people get offended because that's not the way they did it or if they think I'm being critical of them, but it's to the point where I just downright avoid talking about it because I don't want to have the same discussion over and over again or hear the same comments. 

I feel like I can't fully discuss the reasons behind my decisions with some women because those reasons are the opposite of what many have chosen, which leaves me having to explain why I won't be doing it that way.  And because I haven't "been there, done it", I suppose women feel they can mock or scoff even more because "girl, you'll see when you get there. You're going to be begging for that epidural" or "yeah, you say that now but you'll be telling the doctor, get this thing out of me". Really? Really?! 

I try to educate people on the benefits of why I'm choosing a certain way (when the conversation naturally leads to that point by their questioning) , but they can't see past their own experience to try to encourage me or even wish me the best. I know that things may not go the way I am hoping and that sometimes we can't control all of the circumstances, but I have personally come to the place where I am okay with that. I will have tried my best and if intervention is absolutely necessary, I will accept that and be happy that my baby was first and foremost delivered alive and breathing into this world.

This week, we discussed how labor is one of the only times in life when we experience pain that does not result in injury (although sometimes there are complications beyond our control- fetal distress, etc). It is our body's way of letting us know what it needs at that particular time- whether it be different positioning, etc. So instead of being focused on THE PAIN and working myself up to be scared of it, I'd like to focus on letting it guide me to bringing Noah into the world. There are many times when some of the measures we take to try to prevent the pain actually end up causing it to be worse.

Anyway, all that aside, I really felt relief in those first few minutes of our first birth class and feel like it is a safe place that I can discuss hopes and fears and not feel pressure from others to do things a certain way, or receive ridicule for the choices I want to make. I really look forward to the next few classes and really am going to try to focus on making it a learning, growing experience.

2 comments:

  1. You look beautiful, Kelsea! And don't worry about gaining 30 pounds! I gained a little over 35! (Then again, I had an almost 9 pound chunky monkey, but still). You look great. And don't let those awful critics drag you down. I know how annoying it is. But you're gonna completely rock this whole delivery. Despite the "You're gonna want an epidural" thing everyone says, I never thought about asking for pain meds. It hurt a lot sometimes, but not in a scary way that made me feel something was wrong. I know everybody's different. But if that's what you want for yourself and Noah, don't let other people make you worry or doubt yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, Thank you so much for that encouragement. I feel like birth is this thing that we're supposed to be scared of. It's always been described to me by other women as something horrible or procedure-like. Even if things don't go exactly as I hope, I want to view it as an amazing experience, remembering how I brought our son into the world. In reading birth stories of women who have had natural births, they have explained it the same way you did- It hurts, but not in the way it is often described, and as something that is manageable. I appreciate that so much!

      Delete