Our Box Garden

Jun 20, 2012

About a month ago, I was Pinteresting and came across a great pin that had to do with raised gardens. M and I have always wanted to have a garden, but our soil is very sandy and more like clay than dirt in most places. When I saw the idea, I knew we had to try it. 

Originally I had taken a lot of pictures of the entire process of building the simple box garden and was going to a step-by-step sort of post with pictures. I was going to use them as a before and after sort of shot, too, however, I left my camera in RAW shooting mode and now can't figure out how to get those pictures back to JPEGs. Plan B.

One month later and our garden is doing very well. Here's the simple steps for a 4' X 4' box garden(and no we can't all be as fancy and detailed as the couple over at Young House Love).

1. Gather two 2X10X8 pieces of lumber, a circular saw, your best drill and screws, a truckload of topsoil, and one good lookin' husband to do the rest. Just kiddin'. You totally can help by standing around and taking pictures and holding the lumber in place. 

2. Cut each piece of lumber in half, resulting in four 2x10x4's (like my math skills?) and screw the wood together to form a square. 


3. Pick a great place in the yard that gets sun for at least 6-8 hours a day. Because we have so many trees, it is really hard to find a place where sun shines for that long. Our garden is in the most random spot in the yard and in no way looks organized with the layout of the property. Guess not everything can satisfy my OCD needs. 

4. Once you've found the perfect spot for the wooden box, go ahead and fill it up with topsoil, making sure to really pack it down every few minutes. Before you even start planting make sure to get the soil good and moist. We added about half a bag of Miracle-Gro and mixed it in well. 

5. Go ahead and do your planting! We chose 1 of each: squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, and a baby watermelon vine. I also added some lavender in hopes to make some wonderful lavender tea and lemonade, but the poor little gal looks like she's not meant to grow. 


M and I both have enjoyed seeing the plants grow over the past few weeks and are excited for the time when we can do some picking! 

Our tomato plants are doing really well! On the left is the cherry tomato plant and we already have a few starting to grow.

Jalapenos!

My Favorite- Squash!

Our watermelon plant. I LOVE watermelon, but I'm just not sure how this little guy is going to do. We will see!






 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment