We Hear Wedding Bells

Feb 10, 2011

Alright, here's the details I promised I'd blog about. You know.....the details about M and I... oh you know....getting MARRIED?! 

M is my best friend. He has been for some time. I just love that guy. Our story is a funny one, and depending on which one of us you ask - you might just get two different versions. 

M and his family moved to town when I was 13 and he was 14. M's dad's job required their family to move around quite a bit (although we've been together forever, I still can't remember all the states) and it just so happened this area brought another job opportunity. 

M's cousin Eva and I played volleyball together for the local homeschool team and I had just started playing when M moved to the area. M was homeschooling as well and joined the guys' basketball team shortly after getting settled in. 

Apparently, M first noticed me when he came to one of our games to watch Eva play. I didn't even know he was there, much less who he was. I was at church one morning and M and his family came in to visit. Get this - they had moved into a house less than a block from our church and were trying us out that morning. 

I'll spare you all the dramatic details that ensued the following couple years - I'll just sum it up. 

And HERE is where my version and his version differ. I'll give you mine. 


M liked me a lot. We saw each other all the time at church and games and became really good friends. I knew that he liked me - he had made it pretty clear. I wasn't sure how I felt - sometimes I liked him, other times it didn't feel right. We were only 16. Sometimes I wanted to be in a relationship, other times I didn't at all. I'm sure that to others it looked like I was just playing a game or being manipulative, but it truly wasn't the case. I will admit, however, that the attention was nice. What girl doesn't want to be told she is beautiful? Anyway, There were also other friends who influenced decisions and created drama and I know for sure M and I are glad they're not a part of the picture anymore.



Anyway, after many nights of talking and texting for hours and lots of fun days together, our friendship grew deeper over time and I finally agreed to let M ask me out. Doesn't that sound funny? Sure, you can ask me to be your girlfriend.  He took me to Starbucks and I knew he was going to ask me out. I had hot chocolate and he had a coffee. We were in a nice coffee shop and he decides to wait until we get in the truck on the way home to ask me to be his girlfriend. Oh, the silliness of teenagers. 



We began dating in December of 2006. That fall, M went to Cedarville University in Ohio, 6 hours away, for his first year of college. It was rough having to stay back home and finish my senior year without getting to see him every week.


Over the next couple years I went to college in Tennessee, M moved back home and changed schools, I moved to Lynchburg to go to Liberty....talk about long-distance relationships. They're not fun. 

Our plan was for M to finish his mechanical engineering degree, work a year, then when I graduated we would get married and live happily ever after.



Want to know how it really turned out? 


M changed his major at Cedarville putting him behind a year. 

I graduated a year early but had to take ONE class several times afterward to transfer in to officially be sent my degree (keeping me from accepting a good job this past fall until it was done). 

In the past two years, M and I had some hiccups, took a "break", broke up once, got back together, and I moved to Radford this past Summer which finally allowed M and I to live within 20 minutes of each other. I am 22 and M will be 23 by the time we get married.

I am just now interviewing for a good, degree-required job and M graduates this May. He's begun the job search and we're praying God will provide something. We get married this summer and between now and then SO many changes will take place - moving, a new apartment or house together, new jobs, a new town. So much is up in the air, but I truly know God will put us where we're supposed to be.


Anyway....by now I'm sure you're wondering where the whole MARRIED part from earlier comes in. 


Two nights before Christmas, M and I decided to exchange Christmas presents early so we could have that time to ourselves. The couple of weeks beforehand I had been suspicious of a proposal because we'd been talking about it forever and I was leaving for Jamaica on New Years. We had looked at engagement rings and I had showed him the styles I liked. The night before he proposed was our 5 year anniversary (although M would say that officially it was 5 years, but really it was more than that because apparently everyone but me knew that we were together long before that). 


We opened presents on a blanket on the floor in front of the lit Christmas tree we had bought and decorated ourselves. We had our own stockings and took turns opening up gifts. Then he got up and said he had one more present to give me, but he had to use the restroom first (this part made me laugh - I was pretty sure it was coming at this point). He came out and sat on the couch because I had gone into the other room and when I came back in I sat down beside him. We had enjoyed some sparkling wine while opening presents and M was so nervous he downed his entire glass before he began. He was SO nervous and his voice was kind of shaky. He said something to this effect, "Well, I've been thinking about this for some time, and well, I love you, and I want to be with you the rest of my life....and well, now you have to stand up". So of course I stood up and he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes! 
Excuse the terrible nail job - I've been busy lately!


We're so excited to be getting married. I feel that we grow closer every day, even on the rough days when we don't feel or act so lovable. We've grown up a lot in the five years we've been together - personally, relationally, emotionally. We know each other, are sometimes brutally honest with each other, and look forward to knowing each other even more the rest of our lives.

M is my best friend, and so so much more than that. He talks with me about issues, he listens, he feeds my need to debate, he loves, he tells me I'm beautiful, he cooks us delicious dinners, he helps me clean, he leaves all my cupboard doors open, he is sometimes messy, he likes documentaries, he spends money too easily, he helped us begin to recycle, he kisses wonderfully, he watches Parenthood with me, he cleans my car off in the snow, if I have a question, he has some kind of answer, he's smart, he's good at so many things, his ego sometimes inflates....   :)

The wedding planning has already begun. Our date is July 9th, we're getting married at his parent's house for an outdoor, evening wedding, and already have the caterer, photographer, and pastor booked (all family friends). The dress is ordered and I have all the details tucked away in my head and in pictures and blogs on my computer. M and I both want our wedding to be stress free. We want it to be one big party and we want our guests to enjoy themselves and have fun. M has been so great with the planning - he gives me his opinion and has been active in helping me think through things. It feels good that he cares.


I can't wait to show you some of our ideas and also get your advice and suggestions! 






2 comments:

  1. ...and I can't wait to READ all your details!!! Oh, how I love weddings :-). So happy for you Kelsea! What a lovely story - thanks for sharing it with us. - Oh, and btw...still interested in picking up that "let's get together" kick we were on before you left? I know you're working more now...just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsea Im SOOO excited for you both! It's such a wonderful time planning a wedding with your best friend. Trust me, from all I've seen since being married, the fact we had dated so long beforehand was a huge help. You won't regret it and your wedding day will be all the much sweeter for how much you have overcome!!

    ReplyDelete