Feb 15, 2011

I have a feeling most anyone who will read today's post can associate in some way. It's about fitness and weight. Since my first month at college, I have been more conscious of my weight than I ever have before. 

I've written about this before, but during my second semester of my freshman year at Lee University, I ended up losing quite a bit of weight and was slowly getting toned. That semester I truly believe I suffered from some kind of depression. I barely ate anything at all -and it wasn't on purpose. A normal week day's food went something like - an apple on the way to class, skip lunch and sleep, then eat a bowl of cereal or a sandwich for dinner. That's not even 1,000 calories. The thing is- I didn't even notice I had stopped eating enough food to be healthy. I know for sure it was the eating that made me lose the weight because although I did workout, my routine was not intense and lasted less than an hour or thirty minutes a few nights a week. I got down to 149 on the scale - pretty good for my height of 5'10'' and a *ahem* larger body frame.  Although I got down to a great weight that isn't abnormal or out of the BMI range for my height, I still was not giving my body the nutrients that it needed.

Since then, I've been on a roller coaster of fitness and weight. While at Liberty, I was working out every night, eating healthy meals, and was really committed to being healthy. I got down to around 152 but then hit a plateau. After going home for Christmas, I came back to school and couldn't seem to get back in the habit of working out. I went up to 158, back down to 155, and usually maintained somewhere between 153 and 156 on a good day.

Since graduating college, I have gained about 10 pounds. Before I left for Jamaica I weighed almost 170. While there, our meals changed completely and I became sick. I lost about 5 pounds and could definitely tell around my hips and thighs - my jeans fit very differently. When I got back home, I was about 162 and since have gone back up to about 167. 



I debated giving numbers on here, because I would never want someone to feel like I was bashing a certain number - but for me, a step to change is letting it all out in the open. 

M and I do NOT buy junk food aside from the occasional ice cream or popcorn. Everything in our cupboard is either organic, all natural, and has to be cooked in order to be eaten. We have fruit and veggies in the fridge. Our problem? Going to the houses of others' or eating out. There is ALWAYS something tempting like dessert or high calorie and high fat meals. Because we love our families and friends and are obviously not going to just stop visiting altogether, I've got to come up with some other kind of option that STARTS with self-discipline. 


Some concerns I have about my current weight - 


1. I have about an inch layer or more of just plain ol' fat around my midsection and hips (one of the hardest parts to get rid of!)
 
2. Pertaining to #1,  M and I don't want to wait too long to have children after we are married. I know that during pregnancy the muscles and tissue in your stomach and lower abdomen area do some FUNKY things - tearing, disconnecting, all that fun kind of stuff. I DO NOT want to have an even harder time than I do now losing that weight in my stomach -especially post-delivery. My legs and arms tone up easily with some hard work, but my stomach? I don't want to have to carry it around forever. I need to lose it NOW before I gain baby weight and start the whole growing/stretching process.


3. Also pertaining to #1, belly fat puts you at a much greater risk of heart disease or attacks. I want to be as HEALTHY as possible for me, my husband, and my family. A side note - I truly believe living the right kind of spiritual life also includes physical well-being and stewardship. 


4. Last, but certainly not least, I want to feel good about myself. I want my husband to still be attracted to me. I want to exude confidence and not constantly worry about sucking in or avoiding certain types of clothes. I believe that a healthy mental state first begins inward, but also includes the physical. (I don't mean that you can't be mentally healthy if you don't fit the wordly, vogue model of skinny or pretty - because we all know that's pretty much a joke.)

So, where am I going with this? I really want to start making changes that will LAST. I made one of my empty journals a "Food Journal" and made the first page a "goals" page. 

"Daily Goals - Calories = 1,000-1,200, Fat g = >30, Protein g = 120, Water = 8 cups/day
 Weekly Goals - Cardio = 3X a week for 30 minutes in February working up to 4X a week for 45 minutes in March, Weights = 3X a week (with specific charts) 
Weight Now = 168 lb, Goal weight = 145 lb by May 1st" 

I also make notes for each day, recording what I've eaten, the nutritional information, and the servings amount. I'm hoping this will help me stay organized and motivated. Once I get going and start to notice a difference I become even more motivated to eat right and work out more. Results are the best motivation for me, however, I have to motivate myself to start getting results first. 

 So for now, I leave us with some bold statements that I'm trying to back up with bold action. Here I go......

I weigh 168. 
My goal weight is 145. 
I want to weight this and be able to maintain it by May 1st.  
I want to look smokin' for my wedding. 
I want to be toned and lose the layers of fat around my midsection. 


Amber over at Fabulous, Young, and Newlywed has been writing about CrossFit for a few months now and has had amazing results. One just opened up in Blacksburg! If I get this job offer on Wednesday, I'm going to seriously consider joining this kind of expensive workout regime in order to truly make some changes. Until then, I'll try it on my own with my free rec. center pass. 

Any words of encouragement, tips, or advice would be welcomed! I still need to learn how the glycemic index works and how certain foods affect weight loss. 

Thanks for listening to my rant-like post. I want this to be the beginning of a healthy and permanent weight loss change in my life. 





3 comments:

  1. You got this!!! I think the way you're going about it is really great and healthy - just stay positive and work hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! I would definitely recommend having a regular exercise routine and being healthy before getting pregnant. It will be much easier to maintain it throughout your pregnancy and you will be less likely to gain weight and will feel better! Good Luck, I will probably be joining you here pretty soon, I just have to be careful with breastfeeding and dieting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a website .... myfitnesspal.com that you can type in you weight and goals and it will tell you how many cal/carbs/fats/etc to eat... it also let's you type in everything you eat and calculates how many cal you have left throughout the day...it really helped when I was trying to lose weight! Just a thought..You can do it!

    ReplyDelete