Experiencing God

Sep 22, 2010

The past two weeks I have been trying to faithfully and daily do the Experiencing God bible study. Every Wednesday night at my church we go through the past week in the study with our pastor then break off into small groups and discuss more deeply and personally how God is using this study in our lives. 

I'd like to share with you some things from this study that have stood out to me. They are all things I needed to be reminded of and some things that have helped me view my walk with God and my life in general in a new, correct, refreshed way. 
1. God is always at work around you.
2. God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal.
3. God invites you to become involved with Him in His work.
4. God speaks through the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways.
5. God's invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.
6. You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing.
7. You come to know God by experience as you obey Him, and He accomplishes His work through you. 

"As I follow Jesus one day at a time, He will keep me in the center of God's will."  - this has been huge for me. I'm a look-to-the-future kind of gal. I'm affected today by what I haven't done tomorrow if that makes any sense. I tend to feel feelings of worthlessness because of what I think tomorrow will look like rather than trust God and look for ways to serve Him TODAY.

"Don't ask, 'What does God want me to do'? Instead, ask 'What is God doing'?"
I realize that it is not God who just sends us somewhere and we handle it on our own. In order for us to truly be used by God, we need to ask Him to show us where it is that He is at work and then join Him there, not go somewhere and then ask Him to join us. 
"Don't just do something! Stand there!"
Wow. When I read this I was reminded of how many times I felt worthless because I wasn't doing something right then! As I look back I can see the many times I felt restless but my relationship with God wasn't where it needed to be in order for me to clearly hear His calling and know His heart. I wasn't prepared. In many ways, I feel ill-prepared now. That's why this next part is key...................

"Enter a love relationship with Me. Get to know Me. Adjust your life to Me. Let Me love you and reveal Myself through you to a watching world." 
God wants me to first get to know His heart and His purposes. Until then, I will not be able to recognize His voice when He speaks. Any work I do before I hear His voice will be done in my name instead of the Father's. My work would be pointless. 

"When I find out where the Master is working, then I know that is where I need to be.."
I'm reminded of the many times I've thought, "I wonder what God's doing in Haiti, Africa, England, etc" instead of "What is God doing where I am now at this point in my life?" Where is it that He is moving and desires for me to join Him so He can work through me? 

God is already showing me some great things through this study. I bog myself down with worry about tomorrow and worry about the future so much so that I let it distract me from TODAY. Could God call me to Africa one day? Could He call me to work with inner-city kids one day? Absolutely. But for now my responsibility is to remain moldable and faithful to Him and His word TODAY and daily. The only way that I can begin to discern the voice of the Holy Spirit is through constant, faithful, daily, honest fellowship with my Father. 

"As I follow Jesus one day at a time, He will keep me at the center of God's will"




1 comment:

  1. TRUST GOD AND LOOK FOR WAYS TO SERVE HIM TODAY!! love that. I agree 100percent. I am the same exact way. I worry myself into INACTIVITY. Both physically and spirtually.

    daily honest fellowship. I fall into ruts where I do not open my bible. It's a mixture of Honest lack of interest and chasing the things of the world more than him. I know I am imperfect but I really know there is a difference when I am seeking him wholeheartedly on my own each day and just going through the motions on my own. I still pray constantly but I can just see that GOD can only move me if I am running towards him with my all.
    Thank you so much for this. It was an amazing encouragement!

    ReplyDelete