A Beautiful Day for a Hike

Sep 28, 2010

Over the weekend, Michael and I took off for the mountains of West Virginia to do some hiking. To be honest, he's so much more in shape than I am. I love being outdoors, but when it comes to hiking, I have to take so many stops to rest that I feel like more of a pain than a companion. 

We weren't exactly sure where we were going as we got closer. We drove for a good ways on a windy road through the country - which was GORGEOUS! - and up a curvy mountain road after that. Picture this - being basically the only car, sun shining through the spaces in the tree tops, a cool breeze - it almost felt like we had the place to ourselves. After following two, slow logging trucks we finally saw a little parking lot at the top of the mountain. There weren't any clear signs marking this trail as the one we were planning on hiking, but we didn't care and began our hike.


After about 1/8 of a mile we saw this sign and figured out were where we were supposed to be. It was a beautiful hike. 


As you can see in the picture, the first part of the trail was a pretty steady incline (the picture doesn't do it justice) and I'll admit after only 3 or 4 minutes I was breathing so heavy you would have thought I had completed a marathon. I know, I know - PITIFUL! And of course Michael was barely breathing hard at all. Of course, he IS an experienced hiker, having hiked TONS of miles on the AT.










Once we got to the top of the ridge, the trail became pretty flat. We only had about 2/3 of the trail left.






Once we got to the actual observatory, we had to climb about 25 steep steps to the top of the little cabin. That was harder than any of the hike! Like I said - I'm pitiful. 

Then....we beheld THESE gorgeous views. 




360 View.





As you can see, it was a gorgeous view! The cabin was really cool. Michael and I both said it would be really neat to camp up there one night (Not sure if that's allowed or not). We had a really great time. The entire time we were there, we only saw three other hikers. It really did feel like we had the mountain and the lookout all to ourselves. 

Because of our lack of money and time, Michael and I haven't really been able to go out on any dates, recently. Instead, we pick cheap, simple ways to spend our time together. A hike is a great way to get outdoors, get some exercise, see God's creation, and spend some time with your significant other/spouse.
What are some ways, simple or extravagant, that you make time to spend with your significant other/spouse?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had the PERFECT day for this! What gorgeous scenery! Thanks for sharing the beauty with us (and we didn't even have to get all hot and sweaty to enjoy it :-)! Hope you're having a fabulous day so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds wonderful!! :) Have you even played Frisbee golf? Drew started getting into it and it's a lot of fun! Free as long as you have some frisbees! We also LOVE games so we play a lot of those, one time we took some cards on the parkway we could play while being in creation and watching the sun go down! Just some ideas! (oh can I just say I'm a tad excited about the 'looking at engagement rings' comment you made. It made me :) Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea of going on a hike with your special someone! If I only had that special someone in my life right now! :( I think that way too often people think that you have to go somewhere for a date that costs money, but that is so not true! I also love the idea of having a picnic lunch somewhere on the grass instead of going to a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kelsea, from another Virginian. :) Your hike photos are just gorgeous!! I took a peek at your jewelry shop too. You have some lovely pieces. I'm so glad you joined my party, but if you could add a link back to me or my party button to your post, I'd be most appreciative. My blog is small, so I rely on those link-backs. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete