Autumn Kickoff

Sep 16, 2010

Although it's not quite fall yet, there are already so many wonderful signs of it! The crisp mornings and nights, weather just chilly enough for a sweatshirt, days that allow for the windows open and the A/C off (which is also great for my electric bill!), football games, the beginning of beautiful colors on the trees - I could go on and on! 

Aside from those things, there has been one event in a nearby town that has been a tradition for my family and friends to attend every September. It's called Olde Salem Days and is usually a blast! Vendors from local shops and organizations come and line the mile-long Main Street in downtown Salem with their food, crafts, jewelry....you name it, someone has made it and is selling it!

This year I went with my Mom,my sister, and my sister's sister-in-law, Grace. We got there about 9:45 and started at the opposite end that you seen in the picture. We even had a strategy for how we would tackle the hundreds of vendor's booths...we started up the right side and went down every side street and then stopped at the car show (because really, who needs to see a bunch of old cars?) and came back down the left side. I didn't fool with bringing my camera, but my mom - the pathological picture taker - was snapping shots of everyone...including strangers (with their permission of course!). She got some great shots! 

The Farmer's Market had some great homegrown assortments!

Yes, someone could be THIS crazy about VT. No wonder they lost to JMU with this guy as their mascot! :)
My mom had a photography assignment with the subject of circles..this is a cute shot!
My sister, Megan, in line to get some amazing funnel cake!
 Some of the cool things we got there:

~AMAZING kettle corn. It's the best. Our bag had just come out of the kettle and was still warm! So good!

~ A rubber band gun for my little friend, Daniel. I mean, what boy doesn't want one of those?!

~An across-the-shoulder bag, bohemian style...I love it! 

~ Apples from one of the farmer's market vendors. Funny story. I wanted something healthy to snack on instead of all that fried food. There were two vendors right next to each other, both with apples. We got a few from the one vendor on the right after comparing the two. We paid for our apples and then I turned and looked at the older man who was manning the booth on the left that we hadn't chosen from...he looked so sad. This may be due to the fact that he just always looked sad....but I was convinced it was because no one was buying from his booth. I literally and honestly almost cried. I made my mom buy some of his tomatoes.

It's always a really great time. We always end up seeing tons of people we haven't seen in a long time..and some we wish would have stayed that way! When I was younger, I always knew fall was getting close when we went to Olde Salem Days. The only thing that has changed is that I'm buying purses instead of wanting to get my face painted! 

What kind of things do you initiate the fall season with? 


P.S. - All pictures courtesy of Lisa Gunter Photography (a.k.a. my mom!)




6 comments:

  1. Love your blog..just became your newest follower! Thanks for entering my giveaway..good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't any particular fall ritual. I really have enjoyed riding my bike around town. I always know Fall is on it's way though when I see all the pumpkin patches lining up. When I am around halloween candy constantly at stores. When the leaves fall and cover Walnut (*a street here in orange county). I love how the air is chilled with a comfortable warmth. I love fall it just feels different I think. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. It would be quite funny if that farmer uses that look to get his sales up huh? LoL even if it was a trick I think it is amazing that you were inspired to reach out and be of help. WE need more women in this world like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy being out in the yard with my pups during fall. It's nice to have a break from the heat. I also love my drive home when the leaves are changing colors.

    It looks like you had a great time at the festival. You and your sis look so much alike!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I haven't been to Olde Salem Days for years, but I've always loved it! There's just something "Fallish" about festivals, don't you think? Hope you're doing well, and have a great weekend! Let me know if you try out the waterbottle cleaner! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun! I wish we had a Fall festival around here, I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelsea you won the headband giveaway on my blog! Congratulations!

    Send me an email with your information and we will get that to you right away.

    mandy.madson(a)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete