Music

Aug 28, 2010

After a couple weeks, I finally have an opportunity to post again! I wish I could be faithful like the bloggers whose posts I love to read every day. I comfort myself with the thought that I'll blog more when I have more interesting things going on!


For the past month, I've really been trying to watch what I listen to on a regular basis. My job requires a lot of time spent in the car and even when I'm not working, I am mostly out and about. (I go stir crazy if I'm just sitting in my apartment). 


I've been reading, "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper and the main thing he touches on is glorifying God in everything that we do. His famous quote is, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him". My biggest goal in life is to live it with an all-consuming passion for experiencing the glory and joy of my God and sharing that joy with others. That is the ultimate act of love - to share the gospel with others so in turn they can experience joy as well through glorifying God with everything they are.


This has led me to look at each area of my life and ask the question, am I filling my time with pointless activity? Or is what I choose to do either displaying the glory of God or helping me personally with my walk with God? 


One of the first things God brought to mind was the music I listen to. I LOVE music. I was a music major for two years and even though I really can't sing...I can really get into it when I'm by myself in the car! I mostly listen to Country (don't get me wrong, I still love country!). Although I don't think there is anything wrong with a plain ol' country song, many of them reference a lot of things that are contrary to what I believe to be glorifying to God. I had to ask myself, "How am I benefitting from this music?", "Is this considered pointless when viewed in light of my walk with God?" I decided to turn to the Christian station and try to listen to things that are encouraging or lead me to worship. It's funny....some of the songs on even the Christian radio are basically so watered down that you have to wonder the theology of the person who wrote it. You know, the "feel-good, God makes much of me" lyrics. 


Anyways, I think this may just be the start of God convicting me about certain areas of my life in which I waste a vast amount of time or just doing things that are pointless when compared to eternity. I know I have a lot of changing to do. Don't get me wrong - I'm not taking this to the point of legalism. I don't think listening to Christian music makes you holy or righteous or that this conviction should be your standard as well, this is just something that God has convicted me about. I know that because music is such a big part of my life, and because I pay such attention to the words, it really does affect me in ways that I may not even realize.


What I've found? I truly feel that it has led me to a more "pray without ceasing" attitude. I'm reminded through the songs of the glory of God amd what my attitude should truly be throughout the day. I find it keeps me focused spiritually when lately I have been very distracted.

1 comment:

  1. i love this!! i FEEL THE exact same way. When I was saved and came to know Jesus one of my first convictions as a Christian was MOVIES/MUSIC. I love both and I enjoy movies being a theatre major and everything. But Jesus began showing me the things in popular culture that I had never noticed and now I have my classical station, christian stations, and my bible teaching station and then there are my cds.

    Personally the stuff we put into our minds unconsciously is the MOST dangerous because it is the part of the mind that Satan loves to infiltrate and boy wouldn't he love to bring us down from the kingdom in ANY way he can. I really enjoyed this post and I too have learned to PRAY WITHOUT CEASING. It is something that begins in the morning and goes throughout the school and workday and ends once I actually lay down to rest. Life just feels better when I am talking to my Savior all day long :)..

    ♥cheche

    ReplyDelete